Multiple Rotary encoders - help

Hi Hubert
I have done just that. Only difference I have XPlane 10. I have used 10 encoders. 9 for Nav and DME tuning and 1 for elevator trim.

Each encoder button has to be filtered or switch bounce will scramble the whole thing and readings all over the place. So I cheated a bit and used a product designed and sold by Leo Bodnar of IK. I used 2 boards. The first has the encoder connections as part of a matrix but to display approximate elevator trim position I needed to connect a small Arduino in parallel with one of the inputs which the matrix would not allow. So I had to upgrade to a bigger Bodnar board which would allow this.

Google “Leo Bodnar” to get to his site for details. All debounce is taken care of within these boards.

These boards are plug and play and each encoder switch appears in XPlane so you can assign whatever function you like to them. These boards also have 8 analog inputs which appear as axes in Plane and once again can be assigned anything which requires analog input (pitch, Roll etc)

The Arduino is used purely to analyse the encoder inputs and drive the LEDs for elevator trim approximate position. The push button on that encoder is used to return the trim to default “take off” position.

Have a good read and if you have any questions feel free to ask. There are other recent posts on encoders on this forum. Search “rotary encoder” and see what comes up.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes