OWI Robotic Arm Edge - Robot arm - OWI-535 (ADA548)

This is a placeholder topic for “OWI Robotic Arm Edge - Robot arm - OWI-535” comments.

Riding the wings of the award winning Robotic Arm Trainer, OWI has made robotic arm technology more affordable without compromising quality. With Robotic Arm Edge, command the gripper to open and close, wrist motion of 120 degrees, an extensive elbow range of 300 degrees, base rotation of 270 degrees, base motion of 180 degrees, vertical reach of 15 inches, horizontal reach of 12.6 inches, and lifting capacity of 100g. This is a pretty complicated arm to build, but Adafruit are happy with the quality and the arm. Many hackers and makers have used it with Adafruit’s Motorshield. CHOKING HAZARD – Small parts. Not for children. Adafruit only suggests this product for adults and/or kids with adult supervision.

Read more

What is the difference between the robotic arm edge ADA458 and tge robotic arm edge kit POLOLU-947. Thanks

Hey Jenny,
They are the same robot arm kit we are just able to get them from both Adafruit and one from Pololu. I hope this answers your questions!

Hello,

I’m just wondering whether it’s possible to control this robot using software? Perhaps using PythonScript?

Thanks,
Arielle

Hi Arielle,

This arm does not support being controlled by software natively, but it is easy to hack, and there is even a video of how to do it at the bottom of the product page!

Hi Stephen,

Thanks a lot for the response! I missed that video but just took a look at it now. Cheers!

Hi there, i have this kit and have been building a software and hardware interface for this robot arm. I’m using ROS (Robot Operating System) and MoveIT control package. I modeled the arm by hand using SolidWorks which created a URDF file. I also modified each motor adding pulse counters (reluctant to call them encoders) using hall effect sensors

I then feed all the hall effect sensors back to a Particle Photon with has a USB connection to a Linux computer which runs ROS, also 3x DRV8835 DUAL MOTOR DRIVER CARRIER. So now i have a full kinematic model allowing positioning of the end effector using XYZ mm coordinates.

I plan to put together a project page and post on CoreElectronics site when i have time, stay tuned i guess, no spoilers.

1 Like

Awesome work Zonared,

You can submit your project at the link below once you’re finished up. Have a great day!

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support