PiicoDev Laser Distance Sensor VL53L1X modules.

I bought two PiicoDev Laser Distance Sensor VL53L1X modules. From your explanations it can be seen how the three micro python programs prepared by you are loaded directly on the PICO and the sensor begins to measure. Since I have to integrate it into a project that will use two at the same time I would like to know the following things:

1. Can I connect the module using the pins and not the connectors? They are the same thing ? We have planned to connect the modules on the I2C bus via two 4.7K pull-up resistors
  2. I have downloaded your programs and put them into a single script so that we can use them in our Python scripts. At the moment, having not yet received your modules, I tried to connect a VL53L1X module from MELOPERO and it gives me an IO error 05. This is normal ? I thought that the modules all referred to the same integrated but it does not seem so. With the scan instruction I got the I2C address which is 0x29 so at least that seems to be right.
    3 We would like to use the module to measure the water level in a closed metal tank with dimensions of 250 mm in height. It is clean water. Do you think it could work?
    4 I have read that when the module is switched off it loses the addresses that have been configured. At power up all the modules have, if I understood correctly, the default address. Having two on the same I2C bus, can I use XSH by setting both to 1 so that I then lower one at a time and write the working address to them? It’s important that I don’t mistake them so I have to be sure when I question them.
    5 Can I power it at 5V or does it only work at 3.3V?
    Thank you
    Have a nice day
    Peter

Hey Pier,
Welcome to the forums!

Not sure if you have given the laser trick a go to figure out if the laser distance sensor will be able to read the level of the water, but it’s worth giving it a go before getting a bunch of stuff together as there may be a better solution if that doesn’t work out.
As for the pinout and voltage, The modules pinout can be used to connect it to whatever board you want to control it, keeping in mind that it is a 3.3V system only.

I’ll also link the VL53L1X Datasheet as well, as that may help you understand its capabilities.

Cheers,
Blayden

Hey Blayden,
Many thanks for your answers. As soon as I’ll receive sensors I try them for discovery how they work. I hope the can solve my needs. An idea could be not use perpendiculary them on the surface of the water but using a little angle around 2 - 3 degrees so reflaction could be garanty.
in case we can use sensors, just one question for the security : must we to write on our products “Warning do not aim the sensor at the eyes” ?
Cheers
Peter

Hi Pier,

A while back, I added some notes on the GitHub for this sensor on using multiple at the same time. It’s not too hard, but takes a bit of effort:

Regarding PiicoDev cables, they carry 3.3V, GND, SCL and SDA lines, if a PiicoDev sensor has 0.1" pin holes, then they will carry those 4 and sometimes more.

I have found that measuring the distance to something clear can confuse these sensors, as they base their measurement on the strongest reflection they get back, that’s sometimes the surface behind the clear thing. Unsure how you’ll go with water, Do the experiment and let us know!

With an operating voltage range of 2.7V to 3.5V, the VL54L1X seems to be 3.3V only. You could use a logic level converter and buck converter, but I’d just use a modern 3.3V microcontroller myself

2 Likes

Many thanks for your answers
I’ll test sensor over the water surface and I inform you how it works
Peter

1 Like