PiJuice - 12000mAh Battery (CE06505)

This is a placeholder topic for “PiJuice - 12000mAh Battery” comments.

12,000 mAh Lithium Ion battery that can be used with the PiJuice HAT module

Read more

Hi. I’m interested in the 12000 mah battery plastic lithium ion to make a skateboard. Will the plug fit into a truck wheel?

I’m a real newbie so if not I think trying my hand at electronics may be biting off more than I can chew.

If the battery was twice the capacity and easy to fit to skateboard motors I think you could get a lot of interest. As it is I would probably buy two and swap out when one depletes. Also, with regenerative breaking, wpuld the battery fry if over charged?

I need something like this https://hobbyking.com/en_us/xt60-to-micro-losi-charging-adapter-2pcs-bag.html
to connect to something like this https://www.mboards.co/collections/escs/products/dual-hub-motor-esc
I have no idea if the first link is a connector that would connect to the battery or the product in the second link…
Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!

The XT60 is a 60 amp plug and it connects to the charger. The smaller white plug connects to the battery. They use these adaptors because the connectors aren’t common or a charger.

You wouldn’t use this adaptor for powering the board you linked to. It would burn out the small connector and/or cause the battery to overheat and possibly catch fire. The good news is that your skateboard would be very hot and draw a lot of attention.

Use a battery rated for the application and uses the connector the controller requires. The specs on the controller state that they are 50amp continuous (120amp peak) and they have 10s, 7s and 6s battery versions (10 cell, 7 cell and 6 cell). The battery linked to is a 1S (1 cell) and I doubt would give you much over 1amp continuous.

Core-Electronics have pasted up a video explaining how to select a LiPo battery:

Ahh… yes I did think it would be more complicated than simply plugging things together. Oh well. The dream was nice while it lasted. I’m sure tech will improve quickly. For now I’ll just buy a ready made one tho it will be a bit heavier and less powerful.

Thanks for your speedy reply :grin: also your joke about being on fire made me laugh :joy:

It is really as simple as plugging the bits together, but the bits need to the right bits. But plugging the bits together is only the start. How do you mount the bits so the board is still useable? That’s often the hardest part. Pulling a continuous 20A from a battery, it’s going to get hot. In some cases, too hot to touch. And yep, as @Shaun21504 says, the battery can catch fire. Worst part of that is it will often destroy anything in close proximity. The controller, the motors, the board itself.

So what you need to do is build a list of all the components you need.

Big LiPo battery
Charger for said battery
Controller for the hub motors
Hub motors
Tyres for the hub motors

Once you done that you will find you won’t have any change from $500, and that’s a conservative estimate.
:thinking:

Another thing to consider is; Lithium Batteries DO NOT like heat. Sunlight through a car window is enough to heat a Lithium Power Bank to a temperature where the battery might explode. Do not leave these in direct sunlight.
A skate board, being used outside, would need shielding so the batteries are not in direct sunlight. There are other battery technologies that would provide the current and are not as bad as lithium with respect to direct sunlight. The battery shown here is not designed to output a large current for a long time. As others have said the wires are too thin.

Safety should be the first thing to consider in any circuit design.