Pololu Carrier with Sharp GP2Y0A60SZLF Analog Distance Sensor 10-150cm, 5V (POLOLU-2474)

This is a placeholder topic for “Pololu Carrier with Sharp GP2Y0A60SZLF Analog Distance Sensor 10-150cm, 5V” comments.

The GP2Y0A60SZ distance sensor from Sharp offers a wide detection range of 4″ to 60″ (10 cm to 150 cm) and a high update rate of 60 Hz. The distance is indicated by an analog voltage, so only a single analog input is required to interface with the module. The sensor ships installed on Pololu’s compact carrier board, which makes it easy to integrate this great sensor into your project, and is configured for 5V mode.

Read more

Hey all,

i am new to the world of Arduino and having heaps of fun with it. But it’s time to put it to work. I want to make a lineal metre counter like the old school wheel counter but want to do it with sensors and not need to physically touch the surface I’m measuring.

My objective is - count the total lineal meters of timber i feed through a machine, count the number of individual lengths and the time from when the first length enters to when the last board exits.

I would love some suggestions on the best way to do this and the best sensors to use. the proximity of the timber to the sensor would be as close as 5mm and as far as 250mm.

TIA.

1 Like

Hi Gavin,

Depending on where you have access to mount sensors, this could be seriously tricky.

Tracking the distance it moves requires a steady reference point, which could be the end of the beam or something like that. My mind goes to using computer vision and a camera, but I’m not sure.

If you could provide some pictures of your machine (and maybe some arrows scribbled on how you intend to feed and measure) We can have a better think on whether this is achievable.

Cool idea nonetheless and I’m keen to see it develop.
-James

Edit: I’ve just seen that you’ve opened up another thread on this, feel free to read my response, but it doesn’t take into account the great discussion over there. Keep in mind that you can delete one of your posts to stop this kind of thing in future

2 Likes

Hey James. Sorry I didn’t realise I had opened the two.
I will take a look and delete this one.

1 Like

I should add. Since getting started with all this I now have so many ideas for things in my woodworking shop that could add with accuracy and efficiency and safety. I don’t know where to start. :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey Gavin,

That’s definitely the way it goes. You add to your mental toolbox of problem-solving through tinkering, then you start to see the problems, and how to solve them with electronics.

Keen to see your ideas come to life, and definitely chuck up a post if you need a hand executing any of them
-James

1 Like