Possible defect Nano 33 BLE Sense board

Hi all,

I’m hoping I can pick your brains for the issue I am having at the moment. I recently purchased the arduino tiny machine learning kit, which comes with the arduino nano 33 ble sense board.

So I plugged that into my laptop to test the onboard sensors. Every sensor works fine except for one, the humidity sensor, using the library HTS221. I used the provided examples with the library, which can be seen below

/*
  HTS221 - Read Sensors

This example reads data from the on-board HTS221 sensor of the
  Nano 33 BLE Sense and prints the temperature and humidity sensor
  values to the Serial Monitor once a second.

The circuit:
  - Arduino Nano 33 BLE Sense

This example code is in the public domain.
*/

#include <Arduino_HTS221.h>

float old_temp = 0;
float old_hum = 0;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  while (!Serial);

if (!HTS.begin()) {
    Serial.println("Failed to initialize humidity temperature sensor!");
    while (1);
  }
}

void loop() {
  // read all the sensor values
  float temperature = HTS.readTemperature();
  float humidity    = HTS.readHumidity();

// check if the range values in temperature are bigger than 0,5 ºC
  // and if the range values in humidity are bigger than 1%
  if (abs(old_temp - temperature) >= 0.5 || abs(old_hum - humidity) >= 1 )
  {
    old_temp = temperature;
    old_hum = humidity;
    // print each of the sensor values
    Serial.print("Temperature = ");
    Serial.print(temperature);
    Serial.println(" °C");
    Serial.print("Humidity    = ");
    Serial.print(humidity);
    Serial.println(" %");
    Serial.println();
  }

// print each of the sensor values
  Serial.print("Temperature = ");
  Serial.print(temperature);
  Serial.println(" °C");

Serial.print("Humidity    = ");
  Serial.print(humidity);
  Serial.println(" %");

// print an empty line
  Serial.println();

// wait 1 second to print again
  delay(1000);
} 

However, I keep getting this message: “Failed to initialize humidity temperature sensor!”. All other library for the board I have installed and try the examples, they ran without any issue except for this one. Is it possible that the board I purchased is not functional?

Arduino reference link: https://docs.arduino.cc/tutorials/nano-33-ble-sense/humidity-and-temperature-sensor

Have you confirmed that the device is a Nano 33 BLE Sense and not a Nano 33 BLE Sense Lite? The HTS221 chip should be labelled ‘HS1’.

1 Like

Hi AnhMinh
I notice that “#include <Arduino_HTS221.>” is printed in italics and is greyed out as if it is being ignored. I don’t know if the italics makes a difference. Possible as everything else in the IDE is case and syntax sensitive.
Cheers Bob

Hi @Jeff105671, I did have another look at the official Arduino store and they mentioned that they are in fact using the Sense Lite without the humidity sensor. They could have made that more visible though.

*For us to be able to have this kit back in stock we produced a Nano 33 BLE Sense without the HTS221 sensor (temperature and humidity), this change does not affect this kit’s usage and/or content experience. This board is fully compatible with the kit’s documentation.

Core Electronic did not update this on their store so I didnt know about this

Thanks for the reply @Robert93820 , I don’t post a lot so that was just a format error from my end

Hi Anh,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I’ve logged this issue with a high priority, and I’ll fix it up ASAP.

Thanks again for the tipoff!

-James

You can use DHT22 instead until this issue is solved.