Calibrating the IMU on the Nano 33 BLE

Hi - I recently purchased a Nano 33 BLE from you guys and am trying to calibrate the IMU. Using it is easy enough but the calibration step seems a bit elusive - the Arduino library seems a bit old from reading the arduino.cc forums so I’ve been trying a forked library from femmeverbeek. Unfortunately, the calibration sketch for the Accelerometer hangs after the “Calibrate Accelerometer Offset and Slope” line is printed.

Have you had any experience using this board? Which library are you using and how have you calibrated it?

Many thanks

Pete…

1 Like

Hey Peter,

Interesting problem. I’m wondering whether it could be some issues with the actual script itself that’s causing that message to occur. Could you please provide a link to the script in the Repo that you’re using, it could be helpful for us troubleshooting to take a look at that to get a better idea of what’s going on with it.

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

I guess the real question is do you know how to calibrate it so that there is no drift? I’ll keep plugging away for the moment

Thanks
Pete…

Hey Pete,

How did you go with it? You may want to also look into some data filtering such as a Karman filter if you continue to get inaccurate results from your IMU.

Bryce

I didn’t. Also can’t find any Kalman filter code but I can find the Math which I’m definitely not getting into. So totally stuck at the moment!

Hey Peter,

Sorry to hear that, let’s go back a step and see what you’re trying and how we can do something else in order to fix it. Can you please run us through the current process that you’re using in order to calibrate the IMU?

Bryce

I’m obviously not communicating the issue very well. I don’t know how to calibrate it nor how to use sensor fusion to amalgamate the accel/gyro/mag readings. Seems like you need a PhD to understand how to do this stuff. I’ve looked at pretty much everything on the web and can’t work it out. My math is not degree level so not exactly sure where to go next

Cheers

Pete…

Hey Peter,

Ah, my mistake, I thought you were having issues with the signals that were being produced following the calibration, rather than the calibration of the measurement unit itself. What script are you currently using? I know that Maker Pro has some tutorials on setting these up if you’re having trouble with it first getting started.

Bryce