Programmer for PIC16C55A

Hi all,
I have an old amplifier I’m repairing for myself.
It has an older PIC16C55a Micro in it.

Microchip themselves tell me a PIC16F57 is a pin-for-pin equivalent.

Don’t mean to ask a stupid question, but I’m
not a software programmer or even a coder’s little finger!
Is there a suitable programmer unit that can read code from an older PIC16C55, save to file & then flash it to a PIC16F57?

Regards

Martin J

Writing is one thing, reading back is a whole different ball game.

Here’s a couple of programmers though:

Thanks Oliver,

Thanks you Sir. This starts me off in the right direction as I’m not a programmer myself, but I can use a PC & have used logic gates before.
My knowledge in deep analog electronics & electro-mechanical.

My experience only goes as far as 20 years ago, when I worked at a HF Radio factory .
We would plug in an old 27C512 UV-EPROM into a programmer, load the file and write to the IC.
I even read a file from a compatible BIOS IC on my motherboard & flashed myself a copy.
But that’s it. I don’t know past this.

The first programmer unit looks good. If it’s truly compatible with the old PicKit 2, then it should read the older PIC16c55. The PicKit 2 would have.

Yes , I’m restoring an old amplifier I bought cheap & there is one in it.

It’s currently working, but the 15 y/o Micro can die randomly sooner than later.

Whether they security protected it or not I don’t know, I’ll have buy the gear & see. I’ll take that chance.

Thanks again

Regards

Martin J

1 Like

If you are handy with a soldering iron then I would recommend building one of these

There is an active community at

You can ask if it supports your Pic model. I made one myself and have found it to be 100% reliable when reading and writing micro controllers even when the rest fail.

Richard

1 Like

Hi Richard, thank for you help.
Yes, I’m no stranger to soldering so that will be no issue.
I will check it out for sure.

Regards

Martin J

1 Like