this is my first post in the forum
we need to program PIC12C508-04/SM

this needs Picstart plus

We bought MPLAB COMPATIBLE USB PIC PROGRAMMER
is there any setting / mechanism to emulate Pickstart Plus
please help

1 Like

Hi Param,

Seems PICStart is getting a bit long in the tooth, any reason why you’re restricted to that particular chip ? (looks like you might be repairing/troubleshooting an old device?)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/vintage-computing/before-pickit-there-was-picstart/

The programmer you purchased is only compatible with PicKIT 2 and MPLAB according to the product page:

-James

2 Likes

Years ago I bought a K150 clone programmer to program PIC16F628A. The program to do the programming is microbrn.exe. I just started microbrn and 12C508 is in the list of chips it programs, with a picture of where to put the 12C508 in the ZIF socket. Don’t know if that’s useful.

3 Likes

You might like to investigate the PIC12F1501. It looks to be pin compatible with the 12C508 but easier to program, and is a flash device so can be reprogrammed if necessary. The F1501 instruction set is similar to the C508, but not exactly the same. The C508 has a TRIS instruction which has been dropped from recent PICs, the TRIS register is just another memory location. It depends on why you want the 12C508.

3 Likes

HI All
many thanks for your comments
it sems that the only programmer which can program PIC12C508-04/SM is pic strat plus
will attempt and will advise

2 Likes