Project by Clewsy; p0wer - Control mains outlets over wifi

Clewsy just shared a new project: "p0wer - Control mains outlets over wifi."

As part of a larger home automation project, I wanted the ability to control some mains power outlets remotely. To achieve this, I interfaced the transmitter from an inexpensive 433MHz mains remote control kit with a raspberry pi zero w (via a pair of 4066 chips). I then wrote a programme in C to which the desired channel is passed along with either an “on” or “off” command. I can now run a script from my smartphone which connects to the raspberry pi and triggers the remote mains outlet.

Read more

2 Likes

Nice work Clewsy, that such a nice build. Love seeing your growing catalog of projects haha.

2 Likes

Another awesome project from Clewsy! Thanks for sharing man.

1 Like

Thanks guys! I hope to keep adding more. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You won’t hear any complaints from me haha. Out of curiosity, what were you using this to control?

1 Like

Currently I have two setup with lamps plugged into them (one in the lounge, one in the kitchen). These have been handy for when we’re out late and want to check on the pets over the webcams. Also has the benefit of making it appear as if someone is home.

I have another one temporarily powering a computer on the network that I occasionally access remotely over ssh. It’s been freezing lately, so until I figure out why, I am at least able to give it a hard reboot and get it running again.

1 Like

Very nice, I often contemplate doing a project like this just to avoid getting up to turn off the light…what have I come to haha

1 Like

Ha! I know what you mean, but that’s the engineering way! I’m not being lazy, I’m just making the process more efficient…

Haha, my thoughts exactly!