Project by MarkMakies; Glow Cuboid

I have just shared a new project: “Glow Cuboid”

I wanted to make something artistic and dynamic using the GlowBit 8x8 matrix that I’ve been playing around with.  It’s just an RP2040 programmed in Python to produce random patterns on a GlowBit 8x8 RGB LED matrix.

Read more

1 Like

This is surprisingly three dimensional result from a (well-made) simple idea. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hey Mark,

What a great little project! We love to see our Glowbit matrixes being used to make projects, let alone such mesmerising projects such as this one.

It could be done with a WIFI capable RP2040 board to switch through the modes as well, I could imagine it would allow a great little wall hanging piece that could be replicatable and possibly synced across multiple cuboids to make something stunning as a décor piece.

Cheers,
Blayden

1 Like

@Blayden a collection of these hanging would be beautiful.

Another thing I thought of was to subtly increase the speed and brightness when someone is in the room or moving around.

Objects that participate in the mundane going-on of our home enter our minds through the side door.

I wonder if a cheap microwave sensor like this would be able to “see” through the Glowbit matrix? It may be that the metal(?) back of the Glowbit interferes with the microwaves. Would be stunning.

So much sweet potential with this box! I still can;t believe how much depth is in that acrylic diffusion plate. <3

1 Like

Yeah the effect is really pleasing :smiley: well done @MarkMakies

Thank you.

Hi Guys,

I thought of using Wi-Fi to control modes and also to change the effects when someone enters the area through sensing. The microwave sensor does work, as in Duck Off, just need to orient it an 90 degrees for best results, it’s been tested. Changing brightness or modes when someone gets into the detection range wasn’t very visually effective, and in the end it just added a complication. However, it would be really easy to implement is someone was so inclined. Same as responding too music, etc.

I ended up spending almost 2 weeks playing with the random algorithms until I was happy. Very subtle changes can have a big impact. Then I tested on family and friends. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, everyone has a different opinion on which looks best and what I should change. So that is when I decided on only the 4 modes, my favorite and the three most popular other ones. And since I published the videos on YouTube, even more opinions.

It runs continuously in our home and every now and then someone turns it over and we see different patterns for a while. Funny how it always catches your eye as you enter the room.

I do like the idea of networked units run in some kind of sync. That would be lots of fun.

3 Likes

Oh interesting! Simpler is better I suppose. Stoked that you had the same idea and tried it. Sometimes these ideas just don’t work out how you thought they would; Shows the importance of play testing your art. Letting objects be themselves.

I’m not surprised. The second I saw this my imagination started racing. Seems like you did your research and stuck to a vision. So cool @MarkMakies !

2 Likes

The sensor to detect orientation is a brilliant idea!

1 Like

Guys, I thought I would share an idea I had for the Glow Cuboid but never implemented.

I only ever make one or two of the same type of thing before moving on to the next new project. In this case I did consider making a few more of these for special friends and family that would be entirely unique.

First I would use a well documented and robust pseudo random number generator, rather than the Python builtin. It would need to be able to be seeded with a say 1024 or higher bit key, that would be entirely responsible for the random sequence that it would generate.

The Python code would be modified so that it will use to new random generator, it would save state, say every hour so it wouldn’t loose the random ‘chain’ and lastly it would allow a single once off entry of the key/seed, in ASCII - keyboard / USB / BT.

The recipient of this Cuboid gift would be able to enter 128 (or whatever) character string. A secret message or note, something special that will remain locked in the cube forever.

Until that is, quantum computing or the like comes along and is able to take a number of current samples and extrapolate all the way back to the key and contained message.

So, maybe in 1000 years the Glow Cuboid reveals its secret message.

Food for thought.
Mark

3 Likes