Project by Richard44370; Racing Simulator Motion Platform

Richard44370 just shared a new project: "Racing Simulator Motion Platform"

Hi. My son and I have made our first Racing Simulator Motion Platform. It has been a challenge but we now have a playable situtation

Read more

5 Likes

That is really cool! The amount of work to get that going is impressive.

4 Likes

Wow! Very cool project! What software are you using to control the motors?

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hi Stephen,
The motors are controlled via the JRK controllers, which is fed the info from SimTools, which gathers the data from the game being played. JRK software from Pololu and SimTools software from xsimulator.net

Cheers

3 Likes

Hi Richard, don’t know whether you are still responding to Sim platform, if you are it is awesome, I am looking at building my own and would like to know a bit more about your motors. Brand, model and place of purchase, or what speed they are, how many NM, how many RPM through the gearbox.

Cheers Rusty

1 Like

Hi Rusty. The motors are from Motion Dynamics. Here is the link with more info.

https://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-drive-motor-12v-24v-200w-180-rpm-20nm-torque.html

Search fssimulator on FB to follow progress of our set up, and see it in action.

Cheers
Richard

2 Likes

Thanks Richard, wasn’t expecting to hear from you. Great project.

Cheers Rusty

1 Like

Hi Richard,
Don’t know if you’re seeing this forum. I have built almost exactly the same rig and have some issues. Keen to get in contact to pick your brain / experience.
Let me know if you have 20min some time? I can send you my contact details.
Thanks, Mark

2 Likes

Hi Mark,

Just so you know, our forum has a private message function. I’d use that as posting contact details on the public internet is a bad idea (bots scrape it and send you spam)

1 Like

Hey Richard, I love the build. I’m in the process of getting parts together to build my own, but was wondering how you would power these motors while a power supply is plugged into a 10a wall socket. Would they trip under load?

1 Like

Hi Nathan,

Welcome to the forum!!
The power supply used is connected to mains and should be wired by an electrician.
AC is deadly!

It helps to think of the power coming out rather than in current or volts (Power = Current x Volts).
A typical wall socket = 2400W > The power supply is rated at 100W @ 12V (~8A) > 2x 200W motors.

In this setup, the Power supply is underrated and might enter a protection mode (over current).

Liam

Hi @Nathan259296 ,

Apologies for the late response. The notification emails were going to spam. I seem to have missed a few.

We have progressed somewhat, and the power supply we use now is a Mean Well RSP-320-12. (see photo) This outputs 320w and seems to be very capable. We have two rigs now and one gets a hammering. My son was very involved with the iracing scene for a couple of years. Never faulted. The one I have at home is up for sale as it never gets used.

As per Nathan’s advice, get an electrician to do the AC part.

Cheers
Richard

1 Like

Hi @Mark221052 ,

Apologies, but notifications were going to spam so I have not been aware of messages coming in. Happy to chat, but I can’t see how to message privately, as Liam showed. If you can figure that out and send me a message hopefully, I will get alerted, and we can chat.

Hi Richard
Click on the name top left of a post or reply then that will give you the option to send a message.
Like your name is

Richard44370
And clicking results in
This gives you a message option.

Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hi Bob,

This is what I get selecting your name in the top left

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard
Just sent you a test message via the messaging system.
Cheers Bob

This is awesome.

Have you progressed to the point of including the displays in the rig? Seems like immersion would be better served by eliminating relative movement between viewer and display.

Yes we have. 3 LG (cheap) 23" monitors that are fixed to a frame. They don’t move with the rig as the horizon doesn’t move in the real world :laughing: , if that is what you meant? My son’s rig uses Oculus Rift VR system

Right, the horizon doesn’t move in the real world - but in your rig, it moves relative to the occupant.

Of course, wearing a VR headset in this rig would be perfect, blocking out vision of the surroundings to help sell the movement as acceleration, eliminating movement relative to the display and providing 3D and head tracking as a bonus. I guess the tracking camera has to be mounted to the rig…