Pycom LoPy4 (LoRaWAN) (CE05399)

This is a placeholder topic for “Pycom LoPy4 (LoRaWAN)” comments.

The LoPy4 is a quadruple bearer MicroPython enabled development board (LoRa, Sigfox, WiFi, Bluetooth) – perfect enterprise-grade IoT platform for your connected Things. With the latest Espressif chipset the LoPy4 offers a perfect combination of power, friendliness, and flexibility. Create and connect your things everywhere. Fast.

Read more

In doing the TTN course tonight, I think there was only 1 aerial on the Lopy4 (I didn’t look that closely but assume it was on the Lora/Sigfox 915MHz connector, not the Lora 433 connector.

I’ll use the internal Wifi aerial for now.

I saw mention you can blow the radio if an aerial isn’t connected.

For Lora (can these antenna outputs be turned off in firmware) as factory default?

Just unclear what should be done if I am only using Lora 868/915 (not Lora 433)

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

Unless you use 433Mhz there is no problem with there being no antenna for that. I haven’t seen exact details about which chip the LoPy4 uses but they only run one band at a time and switch the antenna appropriately.

It can be hard to find your way around the docs, here’s a direct link about setting up the board:

pycom LoPy4 docs

Dave

2 Likes

Great explanation Dave! You are right the Lopy4 will only output on one band at a time. You set up the frequency used in the code, so just have the antenna connected to the frequency in use.

In the workshop, we use the 868/915MHz frequency connector.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks Dave

Order on way

Can these boards be used standalone? Or do they always need the expansion board to work?

Yes they can be used standalone, but the expansion board makes things like updating the firmware so much easier. Even if you you use the board standalone, I would still recommend getting the expansion board as well.

1 Like