Raspberry Pi 4 vs Raspberry Pi 3 Plus (Model B)

Graham just shared a new tutorial: "Raspberry Pi 4 vs Raspberry Pi 3 Plus (Model B)"

The Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is finally here! This is a huge leap forward for single-board computing and what better way to explore it than power one up, run some tests and stress it out!
Here are the test results for those people that are interested …

Read more

Dear Graham, when will the RPi 4 be available for sale and what is the price.
Thank you,
Anthony

It is available now. Search “raspberry pi 4” in the store. Prices start at $59.95 for the 1GB version. Ordered mine yesterday.

2 Likes

Did the 2GB RPi 4 just jump in price?

Yes it did, as we had updated information arrive from the mothership.

Hi thanks for the comparison between the Pi3 and Pi4. One thing I am however curious about is
the performance of web cams being restreamed as an IP camera. The performance on the Pi3 was not great, with a latency of about 3 seconds using a standard webcam (mjpeg) and using the motion library. My understanding was that the bottleneck was actually the USB, any chance someone can hook up a USB3 webcam or USB2 webcam and determine the latency difference. This is probably one of the most common tasks for a Pi, and I am surprised no one has done that comparison yet.

Hi,

Perplexing to see that the peak power is lower than the Pi 3+ at 1.12A. Was that peak during ethernet speed testing, as I read somewhere that Ethernet uses a bit of power.

Why does the Pi 4 require a 3A power supply vs the Pi 3+ 2.5A?

That it probably to avoid people buying the official PSU and then complaining that their USB3 HDD isn’t working. They have acknowledged that it is fine to usb an adapter on the previous PSU modem and the Pi4 will still work.

Peak power was under CPU full load (which is how we often measure power so it’s comparative for different boards). Though that was an expected result coming from 40nM hardware into the far better 28nM architecture. This means that electricity generally travels 30% less distance to achieve an outcome, so it’s faster and uses less power.

The main issue is the voltage at the connector, it needs to be a genuine 5V. The official PSU’s that have 5.1V outputs to cater for the voltage drop over the wire, which almost always solves the lightning bolt symbol that people see when using phone chargers / other options.

We’re yet to come anywhere near the 13.1W that the older PSU outputs. Sure you could get there with some epic setups, in our every-day-use tests we’ve had SSDs and plenty of other things plugged in without getting close to the max current draw.

Loving the new board, such an upgrade!

2 Likes