Raspberry Pi Vs Arduino

Just a newbie here so go gentle, just wondering what might be better for my application a Raspberry Pi or Arduino (ethernet connected). I am wanting to control devices by a relay for remote control of devices BUT ALSO I want to be able to monitor several Digital inputs on/off and several analog inputs 0-5V from a remote location I have no experience with coding but can learn … thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi Pete,

The two devices are good for different things. Arduino devices excel at interfacing with sensors and actuators, and Raspberry Pi is great at complex processing or creating user interfaces.

If you are going to be interfacing with analog and digital sensors, I would go with an Arduino, as there is no analog to digital converter on a Raspberry Pi. An Arduino Uno can handle 5V analog signals directly, and can monitor digital inputs, and drive relays more easily since it uses 5V logic rather than 3.3v (most relays need 5V to close)

Start here:

With this if you want Ethernet:

Check out our tutorials to help you get started on either:

Hi Pete,

Hope you don’t mind me adding my 2 cents worth.
Have been using Arduino ATMega328P for a while and recently ventured into Pi Zero.
As Stephen said both have been designed for different purposes.

The Pi is basically a Linux computer, boots up with a GUI if you use the NOOBS package. Very easy to get started with. Plenty of memory using micro SD card (16GB, 32GB etc), plenty of processing power. If you don’t have a lot of programming experience the GUI is a good place to start. As for sensors and the like, there are many addon boards. But it is a Linux computer and takes a while to boot up, consumes power, and corruption of the SD card means it won’t work. Using the GUI can be very slow, especially web pages.

The Arduino is basically an embedded micro controller. It does what it is programmed to do and that is all. The ATMega328P is fairly robust and can handle a lot of sensors, just on its own. It can be put into sleep mode when not doing anything, consuming very little power (21uA). Ideal for battery applications. The Arduino IDE is excellent and uses C like code. (good if you have experience using C) But memory is limited to 32K program and 2K ram. So code has to be pretty small. It does NOT have a GUI or WiFi.

The Pi with addons can do everything the Arduino can do but will consume more power and may not be as robust. The Arduino CANNOT do what the Pi does, the micro controller is not powerfully enough and does not have enough resources. But it will excel at doing the one thing it has been programmed to do.

(there are Arduino variants that have features like more memory and WiFi, but I am talking about the ATMega328P which is the micro used on the Arduino UNO)

Enjoy
Jim

2 Likes

Thanks Jim!

Great explanation! Its worth pointing out that if you want to connect over Ethernet. It may be easier to use a Raspberry Pi, as most of what is required to connect is native to the Pi.