Raspberry Pi5 Power Button

Is it true that under the RTC connector you can put a Raspberry Pi 5 on and off button?
foto

1 Like

Hey Giuseppe, Welcome to the forums!

in regards to your question about the Raspberry Pi those traces are indeed for wiring up an external power button as shown in this GitHub documentation

3 Likes

hi Bailey thanks for the answer then is it possible to connect a button to it I was also seeing the link you gave me thank you so much…another question but the golden holes because one is square and the other is a circle are used to show the more and the less ?

1 Like

The traces are different shapes to identify the positive and negative.

For example, the square trace would most likely identify the ground pin on the Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

Hi Bailey, Guiseppe
Just had a quick search. J5 would seem to be a battery connection and the 2 pads (one square) underneath seem to be connected to J5 pins for possibly a different connector (terminal block??) and if so could be a disaster if you pushed a button while a battery is connected.

Would be a worthwhile exercise to check this (Multimeter to check continuity maybe) before any damage occurs.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

Hi Guiseppe
It turns out that Bailey is correct. I just found some time and after a LOT of searching the RPi info FOUND IT!!!

“The J2 jumper is located between the RTC battery connector and the board edge. This breakout allows you to add your own power button to Raspberry Pi 5 by adding a Normally Open (NO) momentary switch bridging the two pads. Briefly closing this switch will perform the same actions as the onboard power button.”

The red circle on the pic above made it a bit difficult to see exactly what the tracks are doing. But there you have it. Straight from the horses mouth as the saying goes.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes