Remote control of switch via 4G

Hi, I’m quite new to the Raspberry Pi and Home Assistant and would very much appreciate suggestions for the following.
The solution I’m looking for is to install a Raspberry Pi with Home Assistant on my boat in the winter storage to control a switch to put the dehumidifier on/off remotely. The humidifier automatically starts at the correct settings when 220V switch is put on.
Also, it would be great to log the humidity level in the boat and read this data from home.
What would be the best configuration to put this into practice?
kind regards,
Dave

If you’re planning to add 4G connection to your Raspberry PI, you have to choose a GSM module. If you want GSM only, you can use SIM900A module. If you want GSM+GPS, then you can choose SIM808 or something similar.

Just so you know, not all humidity sensors are of the same quality or accuracy. You may need to test a few to find one that works for your situation.

If you can get internet access for the Pi via 4G or WiFi or something else, log data would be easy to setup. Keeping in mind security of the internet is not always optimal.

So as @tepalia02203352 has said, look at how you are going to get internet access and what 4G modules are compatible with the Pi. Check if WiFi is available at the boat location, it might be the cheaper and easier option.

Also have a look at what is available to measure humidity which also works with the Pi. There are a heap of devices and it can be confusing, not all are easy to use. Cheaper one tend to be less accurate.

Regards
Jim

1 Like

Thank you both for your suggestions! Will check the wifi sginal at the boat location first as this seems the most easy option to implement. If so, should the Pi be setup as a wifi router or would it be better to connect the pi to a seperate router and make it accessible through port forwarding?

Not 100% sure but I think that for your application, you must connect your Raspberry pi to a separate router. Because, usually when you use your Raspberry Pi itself as a router, it is dedicated to use as a router solely. But in your project, the main purpose of your Raspberry PI is to monitor and control the temperature and humidity. The overall performance of your project may be effected if you assign a single Raspberry Pi to perform all these tasks at a time. However, this is my prediction. You can try and see the performance.

By the way, in case you are eager to add a camera to your project, here is a write-up to consider all the available options: Introduction to Camera PCB - PCB Tracks

1 Like

Thank you.