Share internet or make router for eth

hi all …what i want to do is tether my phone via USB into my rpi-4 and run the internet out of the Ethernet port weather it be to a router or just straight into the device of choice …E.G p.c or sbc…is this a hard ask …
this arvo i am going to experiment for my self was wondering if any body else has done this…???

1 Like

Hey Brian,

It looks like they has done something similar here: Setting up a Bridge between USB tether and Ethernet port - Raspberry Pi Forums
I’d be keen to see how you go!

3 Likes

hmm interesting though i would like to send my internet from my phone via usb into the rpi-4 usb port then out the ethernet into y router and or directly into my pc so if i have to issconect my phone i dont lose link to my pc i have a usb router but not shure if ican just plug into it directly it has provision for a 3.4 g modem dongle i just hate taking my sim out of my phone and putting it into ther dongle then i loose all my phone media /calls etc.etc.etc, it has other modes but have not played with them as yet it is an TL-MR3420

1 Like

i may need an otg usb2 to ethernet cable do you guy have them

1 Like

Were you after something like this Ethernet Hub and USB Hub w/ Micro USB OTG Connector?

2 Likes

I’m also interested in doing this without extra hardware. I believe IPTables should be able to do the routing.

here’s an example of using DHCP and DNSmasq to bridge the USB OTG to WiFi:
https://www.elementzonline.com/blog/sharing-or-bridging-internet-to-ethernet-from-wifi-raspberry-pI

1 Like

are these things bi-directional…???
as like if i plug it into my phone can i get internet out if the eth port to go to my router as like
i hate re-setting up my phone if i`m rebooting often as to keep the connection live via a hub in between th phone and my sbc of choice…etc.etc…

1 Like

Hey Brian,

It will be able to handle communications both ways in from the Ethernet Port on the adapter to the Pi.
I’m not sure if the adapter will work between a phone though, that would be a very interesting test to do!

@James confirmed that you can use the ethernet connection through the hub onto a phone but we’re not sure if you are able to share the connectio back through the phone.
We’ll do some testing and get back to you!

3 Likes

Thanks for taking interest in my idea of the ay i`d like to use it…86770…
i added it to my next buy up from core…

2 Likes