Simulating a running petrol engine with PICO W

Hi Guys,

I am very new to circuit board type electronics and have embarked on a journey of learning.

I am trying build a little project that can simulate an engine running at 6000rpm fixed (for now).
By “running” I am just trying to simulate the crank and cam angle hall effect sensors for fault finding.
Basically It needs to go:
Output1 : Crank, Crank, Crank, Crank, Crank, Crank, Crank, Crank, Out put2 CAM repeat/loop

I have stolen some basic code to switch an input on and off fast and can see a nice square wave on my oscilloscope but the problem is its only a 3.3 volt output from the PICO. I would ideally like it to be 12v DC

I am reading up and watching videos on transistors and MOSFET’s but I don’t really know what i need and cant find anyone doing the same thing.

Is anyone able to steer me in the right direction for parts, schematics and a basic code?

I appreciate any advice.

1 Like

Hi Andrew

You would probably be easiest to consider level shifting with an OP amp. One deciding factor would be how much current is involved at the 12V point. Does it require several mA or A or is it high impedance and Volts only with the current down into µA or nA.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

I have just come across this. Not sure how i missed it to begin with.

2 Likes