Speaker specifications

I need to replace a speaker in my car’s instrument cluster. Apparently the original is 2w @ 60 Ohms but someone suggested 100ohms works.

I found this

Which is apparently retired product but the page links to a replacement product, which I bought.
I didn’t realize the replacement product is 0.1w @ 8 ohms.

Will this still work? Am I going to fry anything? Or will it be too quiet or loud?
Or can I modify it to work somehow?

2 Likes

Hi Sa
Welcome
100 Ohm would work but 8 Ohm would probably be too much of a load for the driver. The 0.1W is the power handling capability of the speaker and is no necessarily the power being applied. You probably would not live with 2W inside a car.

The short answer is probably. And frying a part of the car electronics could be expensive. Personally I would not even think about it.
Cheers Bob

PS: that is not exactly a replacement product is it. The physical size might be the same or similar but that is about where it ends. Hard to get people these days who look at everything. Especially important things like speaker impedance.

2 Likes

Thank you. That problem could have gotten a lot more expensive.

Hi Sam,

Sorry that replacement lead you astray. I’ve made a note to try and get that link removed.

FWIW, perhaps a small class D amp could address the impedance disparity? I had a look and while the chips we break out don’t quote an input impedance it’s usually quite high, perhaps you could also incorporate a part in the chain that does? (op-amp)? Of course if you can find a closer match for the speaker elsewhere, that would be a much easier option.

1 Like

Hi James,

No problem at all.

The wattage was wrong on the discontinued product so I made a mistake there also.

Really appreciate you getting back to me.

Thanks, Sam