Stand alone Raspberry Pi Bluetooth, Audio Streamer, Dolby/DTS decoder DAC for stereo amplifiers

Hi, I have a question about the DFRobot DAC Audio Decoder Board for Raspberry Pi 3B+/ 4B
SKU: DFR0941. It replaces the DFRobot Expansion Shield x600 for Raspberry Pi B+/2B/3B/4B (Discontinued) SKU:DFR0450, which could decode and playback Dolby and DTS formats through analogue RCA stereo outputs. Can this do the same using a Raspberry Pi. My plan is to share a project where I build a hifi stereo valve amplifier (already in progress), and add a stand alone Raspberry Pi Bluetooth, Digital Service Audio Streamer, and Dolby/DTS decoder DAC, with touch screen interface to the amp. Any stereo amp really, a nice way to recycle old amplifiers for modern applications. Possibly adding a remote control, or smart phone connectivity.

2 Likes

That DAC chip seems to only support PCM audio, so you’d have to rely on software on the Pi to do this, like Kodi or the like.

3 Likes

Update on this project.

I’m using the DAC Audio Decoder Board for Raspberry Pi 3B+/ 4B | DFRobot DFR0941 | Core Electronics Australia as an internet radio streamer, and Bluetooth interface via a Pi Zero 2W. It must be noted that while the Pi Zero 2W does have Bluetooth, it does share that antenna with the wifi I believe. As a result the Bluetooth wasn’t working, until I plugged in Core’s Micro USB OTG Host Cable (for Raspberry Pi Zero) SKU: CE04761. It acts as an antenna and provides a nice usable range. I settled in the end for Rune Audio’s OS, because of it’s nice UI and mobile app.
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
To be set up is network storage via my existing router. I’ll use a separate Dolby/DTS decoder on another amplifier input for 2 channel decoding, the Dynalink 5.1CH Digital Audio Converter looks to me to have the best overall combination of specs and features.

The Pi Zero 2W is underneath, and I fitted a Aluminium Heatsink for Raspberry Pi Zero Series | Waveshare | Core Electronics Australia onto it as well, though mainly for peace of mind.

3 Likes