SX1303 915M LoRaWAN Gateway Module+HAT for Raspberry Pi (CE09113)

Hey Michael,

Looks like it might be the best way to go with your suggestion there. If you have it functioning with those changes it should realistically work on Pete’s device.

@Pete85947 Out of question are you using this with a Pi 4 model B and are you running this on Bookworm OS or a previous version. Waveshare can take a while to change some of their wiki pages and so I wonder if its possible this issue could be affected by incompatibility somewhere?

Cheers,
Blayden

2 Likes

OK, I’m just going to make this quick.

A big shout-out to Michael99645 for taking the time to help me better understand LoRaWAN and providing the fix for the GPS issue. Without his assistance, I probably wouldn’t have pursued fixing the downlink issue from The Things Network, as the existing setup was sufficient to complete my project. Now, all my original issues have been resolved.

Further testing by 180 students at the upcoming AgTech events in Orange, Wagga Wagga, and Armidale should provide a thorough stress test for this setup—and turn my hair a little greyer.

I’ll attach my working global_conf.json.sx1250.AU915 for everyone to enjoy. :blush:
global_conf.json.sx1250.AU915.zip (1.4 KB)

Over the next month, I’ll do a more detailed walkthrough, as this will be needed for the students if they want to create their own LoRaWAN gateway.

Thank you everyone!!!

Kind regards,
Pete Smith

Before :frowning:

After :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Pete85947!!!

Looking forward to the detailed work though as I’m sure many people will find it extremely helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here is the first draft. :slight_smile:

LoRaWAN GateWay SX1303 AU915.pdf (4.4 MB)

Cheers
Pete Smith

5 Likes

Second Draft: LoRaWAN GateWay SX1303 AU915

• Added TTN setup.
  • Fixed some command line errors.

LoRaWAN GateWay SX1303 AU915.pdf (4.8 MB)

Cheers
Pete Smith

2 Likes

Such a comprehensive writeup @Pete85947 - this kind of high quality instruction is what gets peoples projects done. Nice work :slight_smile: I’m sure other makers will find it useful on their journey too

2 Likes

Thanks. This was super helpful in getting my gateway running.

FYI, for your next version of the doc, you have a typo in the name of the service you create in a couple of spots on page 19 - “loarpacketforward.service” rather than “lorapacketforward.service”

Also, in case anyone else is having problems, I didn’t get this to work on Debian Bookworm which the latest Raspberry Pi OS is built on, so I went back to a Bullseye version and it worked fine. My understanding is that “echo xx > /sys/class/gpio/export” is no longer supported as a way to address the gpio ports, and the reset_lgw.sh script relies on that to reset the ports.

Thanks,
Mark

2 Likes

Thank heaps for the feedback, Mark165263. I’m glad you found it useful. :blush: I’ll update my walkthrough. :+1:

I found the same issue with Raspberry Pi OS Bookworm. That’s why I mentioned under Software Requirements that I was using Raspberry Pi OS (Debian Bullseye). However, there is some good news. I found a discussion on GitHub that addresses this issue: Failed to start the concentrator with kernel 6.6.22 (Pi 4B Bookworm + SX130X). This file is supposed to fix the issue.
reset_lgw.gpiod.zip (678 Bytes)

I will give Bookworm a try with the new reset_lgw.gpiod.sh over the coming weeks, unless you beat me to it. :smile:

Update:
I’ve tested the file reset_lgw.gpiod.sh on Debian Bookworm with both an RP3b+ and an RP4, and it appears to work well. :slight_smile:

You will need to rename it to reset_lgw.sh and place a copy in both of the following folders: util_chip_id/ and packet_forwarder/.

Cheers
Pete

2 Likes

Third Draft: LoRaWAN GateWay SX1303 AU915

LoRaWAN GateWay SX1303 AU915.pdf (4.8 MB)

Cheers
Pete

2 Likes