Touch Screen with Omega2+ and Arduino Dock 2

I have an Onion Omega 2+, Arduino Dock 2 and a 2.8 TFT Touch Shield for Arduino Uno.

I tested the touch screen with my Arduino Uno and it works perfectly, using the example code from the Adafruit libraries to test the touch screen.

My problem is when I then upload the same example to my Omega (while it’s in the Arduino Dock) I can’t get the touch screen to work. At first the display works fine however the touch screen functionality doesn’t work at all.

After a bit of research I found if I set via terminal:
fast-gpio set-input 15
fast-gpio set-input 16
fast-gpio set-input 17

I could get the touch screen working partially. That is, if I touch the screen the button changes state (as expected) except suddenly after that it’s as if the screen it repeatedly being tapped, without myself physically touching it again the 3 different buttons across the screen changes state as if theyre being touched when they are not. So if I can work out why the screen thinks it’s being touched when its not after the first press it’d solve my problem!

Can anyone enlighten me on what would cause this, and if possible point me in the right direction!

Thanks

Hi Explorex,

It sounds like the Arduino Libraries aren’t compatible with the Onion Omega 2+. You may need to make changes to the library to account for the differences between the Onion Omega and the Arduino. (way over my head)

Check out this thread about this same situation:

Kind of defeats the purpose of making an arduino dock for the omega if it isnt compatible with arduino shields :’) also seems like you’ve found my my post on the onion forum, was just asking around to see if anyone could help me!

Hi Explorex,

You can use many shields with the Arduino Dock for the Onion without modifications, but the shields were not designed for use with that controller and they won’t all universally work. This touch screen shield will work with the Onion buy you may need to create your own library to control it, since the current library only supports the Arduino Uno.

1 Like