Uno Wifi Rev2 and Adafruit Touch screen

Hello,

I’m using the following Arduino Uno and touch screen shield:

I am able to get the Adafruit GFX test working, but the update rate is really slow (like 5 seconds to clear the entire screen!). I tried the display on an Arduino Uno Rev 3 which came with the Arduino Starter Kit, and the it takes less than a second to update.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could improve the performance? Are there alternative displays I could try? I’m open to the traditional LCD display too…

Hey Anthony,

The issue I’d imagine that’d be causing the delay would be the excess processes running on the Arduino Uno Wifi rev 2 which would be causing the system to operate more slowly. Unfortunately, the limitation in this case appears to be the processing speed of the Arduino rather than the display itself. I’m not sure what you could do to increase the speed at which the Arduino is able to communicate to the display, but I’m sure someone will have some ideas for you.

All the best with your project!

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

Hi Bryce,

Thanks for your quick reply: so I’m running the standard “graphicstest” example from the Adafruit GFX library (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-8-tft-touch-shield-v2/graphics-test)… I did a bit more digging around, and there is mention that for “Uno R3, Leonardo, Mega etc” boards we need to “cut the traces between 11-13 and solder bridge the ICSP pins” (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-8-tft-touch-shield-v2/connecting#using-with-an-uno-r3-leonardo-mega-etc-2-8) - I took a photo (see my previous accidental post!) of the board: so I imagine I need to cut the little gold section between each solder pad in the bottom circled section, and solder the top row of pads respectively? Does that sound right - I’m a bit lost when Adafruit mention the uno versions…

Hey Anthony,

Yes, that does sound like it would be a potential solution to your problem. Just realise that soldering will remove the warranty on any items supplied by Core Electronics, I’d say it’ worth a shot as if the display still ceases to function you can simply resolder the connections that were cut. Make sure to let us know how you go!

Bryce

Hi Bryce,

Totally understand about the warranty situation… but just to confirm when they say to “cut the traces”, that means scratch it off with a hobby knife? I’ve soldered stuff in the past, but I’ve never had to cut traces before.

Thanks,
Anthony Joseph

Hey Anthony,

Yes, the connections between the pads need to be severed and using a scalpel is a great option for that, just mind the sharp edge and ensure that the rest of the components and lines remain untouched. All the best!

Bryce

Thanks Bryce - I’ll give it a shot when I get home tonight… I’ll post up my results either way!

Hi Bryce,

Good news! So cutting those pad connections and soldering the other ones worked perfectly! Thanks for the advice :slight_smile: . No code changes required… works out of the box!

Thanks,
Anthony Joseph

Hey Anthony,

Glad to hear it! Enjoy your display!

Bryce