Try to track down a stepper motor

Hi All, I have some old moving head light fixtures where the pan function on them has failed, I have opened them up and taken out the stepper motor that controls the pan, however i am having a hard time trying to find what i need as a replacement for it.

It has these Numbers on it: 42H-1811B-13 YUX13/10/27
And it comes out of a Daiseya ML-Q1507 Stepless moving head light (of which i cant find much info either)

Any help try to find a replacement would be much appreciated

1 Like

That’s likely a NEMA-17 from Shinano Kenshi. So finding one to fit the mounting should be easy - getting the right characteristics might be harder. Things that will need to match are number of wires (4, 5, 6 or 8), number of steps per revolution, resistance per winding and shaft length and diameter.

A couple of good clear photos might help identify it more precisely.

2 Likes

Hi Micah
If you google “Daisy ML-Q1507” one of the hits is here Stepless Moving Head Ml-Q1507 Matrix at Best Price in Guangzhou | Guangzhou Daisy Electronic & Technology Co.,Ltd..
The supplier is quoted and on the right of the page is a link to the supplier. You might find some joy here.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hi Micah,

Welcome to the forum!!

I can see @Robert93820 and @Jeff105671 have gotten you started, I’ve just bumped up your trust level so you are able to post photos, if you could send some through hopefully that can get us the exact motor!

Liam

Here are some pics of the motor
And from the plug that goes into it, it looks like it only uses pins 1,3,4,6
Thanks

1 Like

Hi Micah
The “YUX13/10/27” could ne a manufacturing date in USA format, That is 27th October 2013.
Cheers Bob
PS: What makes you think the stepper motor itself is broken. I think they are pretty robust devices. Have you tried to establish if the stepper is getting any signal???

1 Like

It is a 6-wire stepper connected as a 4 wire, otherwise known as a universal stepper connected as 2-phase or bipolar, so either ‘Universal’ or ‘Bipolar’ would work as a replacement. It is also ‘single shaft’: ie the shaft protrudes at one end only. It is possible that the ‘18’ in the part number means 0.9/1.8 degrees per step, or 200 steps per revolution in bipolar mode… The motor might have enough internal reluctance to enable you to feel the steps as you rotate it by hand.

You can measure the shaft length and diameter. That only leaves the current rating. You could guess this from the load that the head light puts on the motor - it ranges from about 0.3A for a light movement to about 1.8A for a very hefty shove. Note that the replacement wiring is going to be different, so you will need to identify what the existing connections are. There are many sites on the www that show how to do this.

2 Likes

Hi Micah
I suppose you have measured the resistance of the windings to get some idea if anything is wrong ??.

I think Jeff is correct when he says it looks like a 6 wire stepper wired as 4 wire.
Measure the resistance between 1 and 3, 4 and 6. They should be nearly the same. If Jeff is right the resistance between 1 and 2, 2 and 3 should be about half of 1 and 3. The same goes for 4 and 5, 5 and 6.
If you get open circuit between 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 or 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 it will be a 4 wire stepper.

That is assuming the coils are connected in a logical manner (hopefully). They don’t have to be but when you say the connections are 1, 3, 4, 6 it seems like it.
Cheers Bob

Thanks so much for your feedback, i really appreciate it, ill have a bit more digging with the info that you have given me and run some more tests,
Thanks

Looks like 42mm, NEMA 17, 3-ph (6 wire) motor.

I didn’t find what the 1811 B 13 means, though. Maybe this will get you closer, or someone can make more from this?

http://www.ms-motor.com/product_detail-24-en.html