Wireless connect a Pi 400 screen to a SmartTV

Team - Looking to wireless connect a Pi 400 screen to a SmartTV with full HDMI functionality? Any suggestions on how to? Thank you. Larry

Hi Larry,

While I’ve seen the Pi function as a mirroring receiver from another device, not once have I seen it send screen data wirelessly. What are you planning to do with this functionality?

Keen to see what you have to say
-James

1 Like

Hi James - I want to use my large SmartTV as the Pi 400 screen but connect wirelessly and have both audio and video. Thank you.

Anyone…?

Hi Larry,

In principle you should be able to use a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver, though I’m not sure how practical/compact it will be hanging off the back of a Pi 400. They’re not cheap though, here’s a few online:
Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/wireless-hdmi/s?k=wireless+hdmi
Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=wireless+hdmi+transmitter+receiver&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

To be honest, your most practical option is probably to use a long, active HDMI cable or HDMI repeater, but these seem to be a similar price to the wireless option (they’ll have much better signal integrity though).

1 Like

Hi Larry,

This is going to seem like an odd suggestion, but what if you just stuck the Pi 400 behind the smart TV and used a separate wireless keyboard like this one when you needed to roam around?

The point of the Pi 400 is that it is a desktop computer you can easily move around, but it’s not really set up as a wireless media streaming device. You could do all sorts of crazy things like VNC into the Pi 400 if you are super keen to move the Pi 400 around but there are trade-offs to every option.

2 Likes

Hi Trent… thanks for responding, this is precisely the solution I am now heading.

2 Likes

Hey Larry,

I’ve also gone the route of using VNC from my phone now to turn off my NAS. Super simple but gets the job done.

4 Likes

When I posted my question, I was trying to achieve a Windows 10 feature. So, took the easy way out, I installed Windows 10. Problem solved!

Update: Pi does not support Miracast, so I still can’t project wirelessly :cry:

2 Likes