2x7A DC Motor Driver SKU: DRI0041

Hello,

I have two questions regarding the following product for the engineering team. 2x7A DC Motor Driver
SKU: DRI0041

1. The battery supply voltage is expected to be between DC 7 ~ 24 V. What is the motor output voltage range the driver supports?

2. What does this statement mean “It is very considerate to own an Photo Coupler isolation for all the signals in case of that the motor’s Reverse Current would interfere the control signals.” Are we expected to put optocouplers between each of the pins connected to the digital pins on the Arduino?

Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi Vijay,

Welcome to the forum!!

The output will also be 7-24V as the driver board will modulate the input voltage to provide the output.

From the looks of it there might already be some optocouplers already on there.

We dont have access to the schematic so maybe if the guys at Core have a spare moment they could grab a close-up of the chips.

Pololu also have some great motor drivers such as this one here with more documentation behind them: https://core-electronics.com.au/pololu-high-power-motor-driver-36v9.html

3 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome Liam. Appreciate you confirming the motor output voltage.

I was thinking the same regarding the octocouplers but the resolution of the image didn’t allow me to zoom in enough to read the chip number.

Appreciate the Pololu driver recommendation.

Very much appreciated.

3 Likes

No worries Vijay, if you have any more questions let the forum know!!

1 Like

Thank you will do.

2 Likes

Hi Vijay,

We’ve put one of these driver boards under the microscope to read the chip numbers from the photo Liam has highlighted. The text on the chips reads as follows:
EL
357N
C908

A quick google search of EL357N C908 seems to confirm they are opto-couplers.

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to check. Good to have it confirmed. I’m waiting for the chip to arrive so I can start working with it. Exciting stuff!

Can I ask another question regarding motor output voltage in general. If I intend to run a 15V motor, can I supply for example 10V or 20V input to a motor driver and still expect to be able to run the motor? If I supplied less, does that mean the motor receives less current overall?

2 Likes

Hi Vijay,

The motor driver output voltage will be at the same level as the input voltage, it will be a square waveform that mirrors what the control signal does, with a voltage level equal to the supply voltage.
The current output of the motor driver will be determined by whatever current your load draws.

The operating voltage range of your motor should be listed in its specifications.

2 Likes

Gotcha, thanks for claifying Trent. Wasn’t sure if motor drivers usually have voltage regulation built into them. I guess not. Appreciate your valuable input.

3 Likes