5V DC 4A Fixed 2.1mm Tip Appliance Plugpack (AM8911B)

This is a placeholder topic for
“5V DC 4A Fixed 2.1mm Tip Appliance Plugpack”
comments.

5V DC 4A Switchmode Plugpack Supplied with a fixed positive to tip 2.1mm DC jack. Compact design with high current regulated output. Energy authority approved. MEPS approved.

Read more

Hello!

I am wanting to connect 10 strips of 11x LEDs (111x LEDs in total) as part of a data visualisation project. I was wondering what sort of power supply I need and also the best way to wire the power for an Arduino Uno. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Jaime

1 Like

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to the forum :slightly_smiling_face:

The best resource I’ve found for powering the popular WS2812 (NeoPixel) LED strips is Adafruit’s NeoPixel Uberguide.
The section I’ve linked below covers power supply rating and how to distribute power at multiple points throughout your LED project to power them efficiently.

Your worst-case full brightness white colour on every LED current draw will be 6.66Amps, or 2.22Amps for typical use patterns.

If you were to use multiple smaller plug packs I’d recommend connecting the negative of each supply back to a common point, but separating up the 5V rails between each supply as standard power supplies won’t share the load equally between them.

You can power the Arduino Uno by applying 5V directly to the 5V pin, but keep in mind this is behind the regulator on the Uno so you want to only ever feed it a regulated 5V supply.

1 Like

Hi Trent,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I have had a read through the article and am still a little confused. I am a newbie so I apologise if these are silly questions! I am wondering if I need to use a resister and capacitor like in this diagram? If so, could you recommend products on your website that would be suitable?

Thanks again!
Jaime

Hi Jamie,

Those components are recommended earlier in the guide, they aren’t strictly essential, but they serve as a good safeguard just to prevent damage to your LED strips if there was a voltage spike, or a sudden load on the power supply.
Any electrolytic capacitor with a voltage rating of 6 volts or higher should work fine, 1000µF is just a common value, we’re sold out of 1000µF capacitors but the 470µF from this kit would be fine.

Likewise, any resistor from 300Ω to 500Ω would do fine.

1 Like

Hi Trent,

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers,
Jaime

1 Like