7" TFT screen parts needed

1. I managed to ruin the white ribbon cable that connects the screen to the RPi board. I want a replacement.
  2. The same TFT screen originally came with 4 different colour cables that make connections with the RPi.
    I want thicker cables (at least 3 times thicker) with the same plastic housing on at least one but preferrably both ends.

Hey Peter,

Which screen is it? Got a link or a sku?

Any idea what connector it is? Cores got a pretty decent guide on identifying electrical connectors.

The heading says 7"TFT. What more do you need?

Well, which of these 144 million search results is it?

http://google.com.au/search?q=7"+TFT&oq=7"+TFT

Great reply Oliver.
I didn’t think I was reading correctly when I saw Peter’s statement above.

Peter The guys at Core support will give you all the help they can but they are not magicians. Even a photo would have been some help.
Thicker cable?? Why? If you get a direct replacement it will be exactly the same. If the connector is insulation displacement type as is likely with ribbon cable the connector will dictate the size cable that can be used over a very narrow range of sizes.
Best of luck with that.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes

Now they may be able to help you.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

Hi Peter,

Thanks for sending that through. The board uses a DSI cable. Unfortunately, I think it will be hard to find heavy-duty versions of these as they aren’t intended to be in environments where they have to withstand much. I would recommend getting a super short cable as this will keep it out of the way:

Otherwise here are some other options:

Mitchell,
You need to re-read my request!

1. replacement ribbon connector
  2. Thicker power cables

Hi Peter,

My previous post was in regards to the replacement ribbon cables. Check out those links for a suitable alternative.

In terms of thicker cables, I believe Oliver, one of our support team was discussing with you earlier and this was in relation to thicker power supply cables. Here are the parts you will need to make those, keep in mind that the maximum size wire these connectors can take is 22AWG. Hope this helps!

Hi Peter,

Thanks for making apost and welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

FYI, I just grabbed one of these displays from stock - the included jumper cables are 26AWG, about 150mm (6") long. We don’t have any thicker female female jumper cables, but you could make some up using the parts Mitchell linked above (just note that you’ll need a set of crimping pliers which is the expensive part of DIY cables). The thickest cable those connectors can handle is 22AWG.

Here’s a link to a site search for 22WG cable:

FYI though, I haven’t heard of power issues with the official Pi display on a 3B before, so there may be another issue. Is it definitely being powered from the 5v rail and is the ground connection secure? You likely would run into power issues if the jumpers weren’t making good contact and all the current was flowing through the ribbon cable.

The included ribbon cable is 100mm long, so this one would be the one to go for if you were chasing a like for like replacement:

Mitchell,

1. The ribbon cable I want is a REPLACEMENT of the one in the monitor’s kit.
  2. Please send whatever I need to create two cables; 5V and Gnd.
  3. Send me an invoice.

Hi Peter,

I think I answered all your queries in my post above? The best way to order parts is to just add them to your cart and proceed through our online checkout. You’ll receive a copy of your invoice be email once you’ve placed your order.

If there’s anything else we can help with, just let us know :slight_smile:

I want to know whether everything is in stock. Particularly the white ribbon cable.

Hi Peter,

• Flex Cable for Raspberry Pi Camera - 100mm / 4" - In stock
  • 22awg - most of these colours will be in stock
  • Female Crimp Pins for 0.1" Housings 100-Pack - in stock
  • 0.1" (2.54mm) Crimp Connector Housing: 1x2-Pin 25-Pack - in stock

FYI though, you can just throw the quantity you need into the ‘Quantity’ field beneath the product price. If it’s ready to ship today, it will say so there :slight_smile: