Advice for the right terminal block

I’m looking for a screw or spring terminal block that I can attach to a project enclosure, then attach wires from the back/inside of it to my components within the enclosure. Then the user can screw/attach wires to the outside sensors and outputs. I need 14 connections in total.

I am looking to have 2 connection points on either side of the blocks to link my inputs with the user inputs. It needs to firmly be mounted to the outside wall of an enclosure. I’d have to cut holes in the enclosure of course.

Just to be clear, I’m not looking for a PCB mount block. My project has multiple boards and components within the enclosure, so I’d be looking to attach wires to the inside of the terminal block which would then connect to my internal components.

I was pointed to Terminal Block - 6 Position (15A, 600V) | Sparkfun PRT-13061 | Core Electronics Australia, but I don’t think it’s appropriate as I’d have to cut additional holes in my enclosure to poke the wires out of the box and then screw down to the block. I’d prefer my wires weren’t at all visible, ie connected from inside the enclosure.

2 Likes

Hi Scott
Terminal blocks are available that have quite long connection points similar to PCB mount arrangement but much longer and larger and meant to stick through holes in a panel and mount with a screw through the panel at either end.

If using the “poke in and screw down” types make sure they have wire protectors fitted (some of the cheaper ones don’t) or are of the “rising clamp” types. Another of the “poke in” types is the spring loaded type where you push down a bit with a screw driver or something to release, Wago is a brand that comes to mind here but might be hard to come by in your required configuration.

Element 14 and RS Components are a good starting point to research even to just get manufacturers and type numbers. Jaycar have a 4 and 6 way block but the connection is open screw with washer and really meant for eye or slotted terminals but will give you an idea.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

Hi Scott,

Most of the terminal blocks we stock are intended for PCB through-hole mounting, we don’t really carry the other varieties as they are more for industrial use.

I’ve seen a lot of terminal blocks designed around DIN Rail mount systems but the style Bob has described sounds like a better fit for your application so I’d pursue those suggestions first.

1 Like

Hi Scott.

@James46717 makes a pretty clean implementation on his Simple Relay Timer project with some bolts, nuts, gaskets, and eye terminals.

Would a gland + A couple RJ45 cables work?

1 Like

Hi Scott,

Just to build on Robert’s suggestions, it looks like Digi-Key carry some panel-mount terminal blocks, the only catch is that they come in two pieces, the part that screws into your enclosure and “inside” wires, and another that screws onto the “outside” wires.

While I haven’t used these connectors myself, there seem to be a lot of accessory options so some combination of parts should do what you are after.