Arcade Button with LED - 30mm Translucent Blue (ADA3490)

This is a placeholder topic for “Arcade Button with LED - 30mm Translucent Blue” comments.

A button is a button, and a switch is a switch, but these translucent arcade buttons are in a class of their own. Particularly because they have LEDs built right…

Read more

Does a datasheet exist for this product?
I have dreams of the led only lighting up when the button is compressed.
Just wanting to see what each pin is doing and if the data pin talks to 5v and ground internally.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Pixmusix,

We don’t have a datasheet for that one, but the description tells you pretty much all you need to know - it has 2 LEDs in parallel, each with their own series resistor, and the button is separate to that. If you wanted the functionality you mentioned you could wire it up like so:

Not shown in that schematic is an internal pullup on the microcontroller pin (to eliminate the effect of the forward voltage of the LED)

This circuit would also be active-low (inverted logic), so your code would have to vary accordingly.

1 Like

Thanks @James for that diagram.
First time reading a diagram like that, very exciting.

If it’s OK by you my plan is to sit down with the button tonight and just … give it a go best I can figure it. I assume I can’t really break anything by accident with only 3.3v.

If I can’t get it to work because I did it wrong, is it OK if I snap a picture of my breadboard wiring and post it back here for corrections?

1 Like

Hi Pixmusix,

Surprised you’ve come this far without seeing a schematic! They are the standard way of showing exactly what connects to what.

I’d just carefully read the product description to work out exactly which pins are which (maybe draw a diagram for future reference) and try and assemble the circuit as shown. If it doesn’t work, come back and let us know, we’d be happy to help troubleshoot.

1 Like

1 Like

Hehehehe I’m sure all of us have had little “valleys of despair” in our journeys at some point :slight_smile: