I think you are right with Agriculture.
I redesigned the PCB so that I included a complete Arduino Uno into the schematic. I’ll have to post the schematic up for comments, etc. I used KiCAD eeschma for the schematic. Seems pretty easy/intuitive to use.
What I realised is that I need a small PCB for each bed. That means communication from each bed back to the ‘mothership’. Not a big deal really as nothing happens too fast in this design.
Over distance (say 1km) I could use a Cambium point to point link but others here might have a simpler solution.
Anyway, I start at Swinburne on 2nd August having moved across from UniSA so I guess that will take a big chunk out of my day!