Programming the Airwood drone

I have just ordered the Airwood drone (version with camera and programming module).
But information on it seems almost non-existent. The maker’s site is in Chinese but fortunately Apple translate worked well.
Has anyone else played with one?

I have a Raspberry Pi but haven’t done any Arduino programming. Hopefully I can get it to talk to my Mac laptop.
Ah well, it is getting very boring here in locked down Melbourne so I have lots of time to sort it out

Stay safe
Bruce

2 Likes

Hey Bruce,

Welcome to the forum!

I’d be keen to see what you come up with :smiley: I’ve had a little tinker around with a Tello in the past but keen to see what the AirWood drones can do, you might even be able to squeeze a Pico on there so you can write some micropython

1 Like

It looks like the programming module has an ATmega328 that talks to a Cortex-M3 in the flight controller.

I have found a “library update” that appears to add all the Airwood specific “blocks” to MIXLY. I could try and reverse engineer those files. They include commands like “fly forward 300cm”. It would be good to get those as real code, not boxes in a graphic interface.

And, as you say, if we know what commands the Cortex-M3 accepts, and what it returns, anything is possible.

Hey Bruce,

Interesting! I’d be curious what chip the Cortex-M3 actually is.

Certainly, the documentation on the chips are very extensive and have some relations to the hardware its plugged into - so using the libraries would be the best bet (sounds like it relates IMU data, and inputs to control the motors, it mentions AI but I imagine its a PID controller of some sort. (teaching a model is very involved vs using the created one) would love to be wrong though!)

PS: Careful Bruce, replying to the forum via email leaves your signature on there! You can edit it by heading to the topic directly: Programming the Airwood drone - #2 by Liam120347

1 Like

Wish you all the best.
My drone experience has been with the Air:bit drone, a very disappointing product and way too expensive; and it did not come with the Micro:bit processors, just the fight controller board. One of the motors failed because the wire was not soldered in, it just pulled out of the motor. (I was able to get a replacement, on ebay)
For less than $100 I bought a much better one with a camera that holds altitude. (but basically a toy though)

Be interested to hear how you go with the Airwood. Have held off buying one due to the Air:bit
experience.

cheers
Jim

1 Like

Ok, I have had second thoughts and cancelled my Airwood order. There were just too many unknowns.

Meanwhile, it seems people are already programming the Tello drone with Python. And I already have Python code that has a wheeled robot chasing a pink ball…

The Tello is nowhere near as pretty but probably more sensible.

Stay safe
Bruce

2 Likes