Arduino - Thermocouple Receiver and Analog Output

Hey

I am looking to build the following

• Arduino (ESP8266 Adafruit)
  • MAX31855 Thermocouple Amplifier
  • MCP4725 DAC (output 1-5v)
  • 2000mAH LiPO Battery

Data will be sent to a Raspi to be logged. This will also re-transmit the data to another arduino similar to the one above.
Is it safe to assume that MCU has built in charging when supplied from a USB?
Can you see anything I might have missed or could be changed?

2 Likes

Do you mean this?

That module includes a charger for the battery and automatically switches to charge mode when USB is connected.

Without knowing what you are trying to do with this setup, and what other bits you already have, it is difficult to know what might be missing. If this is the thermocouple you are referring to

then you have listed enough bits for a remote temperature monitoring station, assuming you already have a thermocouple and you will print your own case. What are you planing to use the DAC for?

2 Likes

Dallas18b20 is a better and cheaper solution vs a thermocouple used for high heat temperatures

3 Likes

I have the thermocouples.

The DAC is so that the arduino is able to interface with an external temperature controller that can take 4-20mA, 0-10v and 1-5v.

Thermocouples have been chosen due to the usage requirements.

Thank you for confirming that the adafruit huzzah esp8266 will auto charge and auto switch.

3 Likes

Hi Ben,

It does have a charge IC but there is also nothing limiting the discharge of the battery. There are lots of methods used, the most common being placing the 8266 into deep sleep to try and prevent over discharging the battery.

1 Like

Hi All,

Sounds like an interesting project Ben, and thanks Jeff, Craig and Liam for jumping in and offering some advice!

Liam