Argon ONE Raspberry Pi 4 Case (CE06586)

I try this over the weekend busy at work with drone thanks.

Run this as sudo.
It should install the packages you need. I can’t remember if Python is missing anything but run the script attached as sudo

Configure by running the config script in Desktop folder from command prompt, set it to always on to confirm it runs.
You can test from there.
The main script is located in /usr/bin run using sudo python3 argononed.py from memory. it should run ok. if the fan came on earlier you don’t need to worry about this part.
argon1.zip (3.9 KB)

1 Like

Hi Bryce,

Due to the Argon One’s internal board being between the power source and the Raspberry Pi, there is nothing you can do to bypass it via script… Argon 40 would need to release a firmware update to support auto-boot on power resumption. In the end I got the NEO case from you guys instead (along with the Argon Fan Hat) and it doesn’t have the problem.

In saying that though, I tried my other idea on the One… not the most elegant but it works. I got the USB C extension with switch from you guys and ran the power directly to the Pi… thankfully their little board doesn’t cover the internal power port. The extension cable plug was a tiny bit too thick so I had to shave down one side about half a millimetre to avoid the internal board. There’s not much room in the case to manoeuvre a cable and I wanted to avoid making custom USB C holes so in the end I just decided to run the cable out the side… so, using a dremel I made a 4x4mm square notch directly opposite where the internal raspberry pi power is located… then I put the case back together with the extension switch coming out the side.

Aesthetically it’s probably not great but it’s far from untidy or unsightly… more importantly, the fan kicks in when expected, it resumes boot after power failure and amazingly the power button actions at the back seem to still work (not that I use them) despite the power cable no longer going into it… obviously it’s still getting everythingit needs from the GPIO… at least I assume. No issues yet.

Regards, Terrence.

Hi Terrence,

Awesome modification. Glad to hear that it’s working successfully! Could even be worth mentioning this directly to Argon as a potential modification for their future designs. All the best with your project!

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

Hi All,

Just an update, we’ve recently received some information from another customer who’s been looking for a way to setup Auto Booting on their Argon One case:

It’s worth giving this a shot to see if you’re lucky enough to have one of the beta boards!

Regards,
Oliver
Support | Core Electronics

1 Like

Ok, this is truly weird. I got my new Raspberry Pi 4 and my Argon One case. Assembled and powered on - No video. Take the Pi out of the case, connect it up, and it all works perfectly. Further slow experimentation shows that it works fine in the Argon One case as long as I don’t attach the plastic base plate. It will happily boot up and display video (as long as I make sure the cable is attached just right) with the bottom of the case off, but if I add the base, I get no video output, though I can still ssh to the Pi. I’ve made sure that hdmi_force_hotplug=1 is uncommented in the config.txt, and I’ve tried multiple images, Raspberry Pi OS and LibreElec both boot up and output video with the bottom of the case off, but have no video with the case closed up completely.

Stranger things have happened with HDMI. Could be a dodgy passthrough board.

Weird that both HDMI ports would be faulty in the same manner, though.

I found my problem - The argon One case’s thickness combined with a slightly short Micro HDMI plug was stopping the cable connecting firmly. The base doesn’t actually fit flush to the top due to poor manufacturing tolerances, so it pushes the cable out about half a millimetre, which is enough to stop it connecting. Shaving the plastic back to the same dimension as the metal and filing off a bit of the HDMI cable’s shroud got it connecting OK to my monitor, but it still refuses to talk to my television.

2 Likes

Have a go at this tutorial;

2 Likes

I’ve tried those settings without success. I’m waiting for a replacement hdmi cable I have ordered as the next step, which hopefully has a longer plug. Really, this is a fundamental design problem with the case. The micro HDMI Sockets on the daughterboard should protrude through the depth of the case.

2 Likes

Hey Politas,

That’s good advice. I’d recommend writing to Argon about it so that they’re aware of it in future versions (cs@argon40.com). I haven’t run into the same issue myself with the official HDMI connection from RPi, although it’s a useful warning if anyone is going to get an Argon case in future to double check that you’ve got some space and length on the HDMI cable.

1 Like

FAN SETUP PROCEDURES AND TESTING:…this is for raspberry Debian tested on it…

after assembly set the jumper to 1 and 2 for default setting
or set it to 2 and 3 if you want the fan to run continuously
if you use this option there is no need to install the program…

so if you want software control then set the jumper to default 1 and 2…
making shore you are connected to the internet
download from argon the setup file to your directory of choice just click on the link it will start the download

https://download.argon40.com/argon1.sh

open a terminal as root user
change into the directory where the file was saved and code the following
chmod 755 argon1.sh
next code
./argon1.sh
and it will start to install the software
once it has finished you should have two icons appear on the desktop now .

if using a terminal you can run different options by this code follow options given…
argonone-config

or you can manually edit the config file and set the trip points to your preference`s

nano /etc/argononed.conf

just manually code it yourself
you can code as many trip points as you want not shure how many
temperature is on the left field and fan speed on the right…
example::
delete the figures in the file now and copy paste these figures into the file

30=50
35=60
40=80
42=100
save the file…

power cycle the rpi
with these figures above your fan should be running as soon as you power it up or shortly after open a browser and load up the cpu yourself or
you can self test by installing stressberry

i only have the argon fan hat which does have a switch on it but no jumper or i/r led/s
as far as i know all the fans use the same setup program…however this may change once the argon remote is released…

i added the below for the users with the M-2 drive addons
It is compatible with any M.2 SATA SSD with Key-B and Key B&M .

just browse for the specs and type of ssd you would like to use with the M-2 sata bridge unit…
here is a explanation link… also check that the ssd you are wanting to acquire does not exceed 5 watts…power drain

admin pls remove the above link if not appropriate…thx i cannot find any exp on the argon home page…

2 Likes

Hi All,

FYI we just had a query about replacement thermal pads for the Argon One case. I’ve just grabbed one from stock and measured the included thermal pads to be 1mm thick. We don’t have any tape this thick (though you could stack up some 3M 8810), but it is readily available online from other suppliers.

1 Like

if you look you can see the SD-card recess…on this case…its lower left on the front.if you look close . also a note to mention is the m-2 case version..if you look on the argon site as well the pics dont show one very hard to see on the Matt colored pics if it is there…but i think it could be accessed if the need be with some modding…of the M-2 case. if it is not accessible .

1 Like
1 Like

could somebody …pls… tell me if the argon 40 and argon 40 v2 fans are physically different and do they have different rpms fan fin length or just a spec page will do if they are different…

1 Like

Hi.

Can anyone tell me if the Argon One is electronically fully compatible with all rpi hats ( ie other than physical compatibility ) ?

Specifically does the power button or fan controller claim any GPIO pins or utilise other RPI resources that subsequently could impact a hat ?

I am having issues with a hat that has buttons on it since I installed the Argon One and I am trying to understand what exactly the One product requires, but there does not seem to be a lot of discussion on this topic, which may imply it IS fully electronic compatible with all hats…but I am not convinced.

Does anyone have any insights into how the Argon One circuitry and interoperability with the RPI works and the impact on any hats ?

Thanks in advance

3 Likes

Hi Ross,

According to Waveshare, the following pins are used on the Argon ONE:

(If the numbers seem wrong, keep in mind that these are the pins on the BCM chip on the PI, not the pin numbers you’re used to seeing on the Pi header)

As for HAT compatibility, nothing beats Pinout.xyz’s board explorer as a resource, take a look!

Hope this sorts you out!
-James

4 Likes

Thanks for the prompt response James.

Looking at the data from your link, it looks like the Argon One and the hat I have both share GPIO 23 ( Pin 16 ) for button use.

With some hat hacking it might be possible to change the hats button GPIO pin…I will have to have a closer look…see if it is worth the effort.

Do you know if it is a coincidence between the two products I have that they both use GPIO 23, or is GPIO 23 commonly assigned to button use ?

4 Likes