Automatic chicken coop door

Hi. I’m a complete beginner so thanks and apologies in advance. I’ve read the similar forum posts but would feel more confident if I started fresh.

My coop has a guillotine door which I want to automate to go up/down at multiple set-times per day. The coop has no power so I’m looking to run off a simple solar / battery system. Note - I have an existing solar sensor light that I thought I might be able to tap into (?).

Can someone please assist with components I may require, e.g. Raspberry Pi Pico WH (?), stepper motor, etc… and anywhere I can start re. how to program.

Thanks again.
John

Hi John.

Welcome to the forums! :slight_smile:
Lovely idea. Such a great beginner project! Simple, useful, and personal.

Let’s start with some tools

The above looks promising.
I think I would just improvise a gear and pulley system which connects to the door.

I haven’t personally used this motor personally, but I like that it’s 5v.
That’s good because alot of solar panels, like this one below, are 5v too.

Pick your favourite microcontroller. I don’t think you’ll need wifi so something simple like this below will be fine.

and also

Maybe, but we’d need a model number and a picture to comment. :+1:

I think @Jaryd has you covered below.

Finalise your design, then commit

Consider sketching up your design on paper before commuting to a purchase.
Don’t hesitate to post your sketch here to get a second opinion.

Good luck.
Pix :heavy_heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

Hi John

I would advise against going down that path. Pix I note has already raised some doubt.
These lights are designed for a low current load of some LEDs and usually have AAA rechargeable cells inside. Quite a low output capability. If you start “tapping into” this sort of thing you might find nothing works at the end of the day.

So for what it is worth My advice would be to stay away from your sensor light (which is probably currently working) and start from the ground up. Estimate what power you need then double it.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes

Thanks everyone.
So for clarity:

• The Raspberry Pi Pico is the brains and what I will need to interact with for programming purposes.
  • The stepper motor plugs into the Pico. The Pico will tell the motor to run for x seconds to lift / lower the door
  • To keep simple could I attach the string / thin wire cord / other directly onto the motor spindle? i.e. it just winds / unwinds around that? Perhaps I need an attachment to the spindle?
  • Power to be supplied by the solar panel. Bob, noted re. my existing solar light, i.e. I won’t go down that path.
    – Assuming I need a rechargeable battery for the panel to charge? If yes, please advise what I might need and how it connects to the Pico (?)

I’ll have a go at drawing and keen to engage with the tutorials.
Thanks again

1 Like

Thats a great idea!!

Hi John,

An option to look into might be a solar board like this might be worth looking into as it can be worth looking into for a lead acid batteries and something more along these lines if you’re going with a LiPo battery system.

A lead acid battery solution might be a bit more overkill for the situation but it would be able to handle quite a bit of power out where as a Lipo solution could be just as suitable. you’d just want to look at how much current is being drawn by the motor to see if it exceeds the LiPo’s ratings.

1 Like

What if I wanted to just go battery powered? The commercial versions suggest:

Four standard AA batteries power the Safe Coop automatic chicken coop door. The display includes a battery level indicator, so there is plenty of warning before the batteries need replacing. Thanks to ultra-low energy consumption technology, the batteries last up to two years.

Hi John,

There are a few options there. Monitoring battery levels can also just be another complex job depending on how you approach it.

We do have these solar power boards that I always recommend as there is plenty of documentation about for them, and they are quite simple to use.

Sunflower: Solar Power Manager 5V
Sunflower: Solar Power Manager 9V/12V/18V

Give these ones and their Wikis a look!