Can Pico be used instead of the Pi 0 W to control the Zumo car?

Since your Pi Zero W are out of stock (no, I dont need a kit), I was wondering if the Pico can be used instead. Being slower in CPU, would this still be feasible ? (I have an L398N bridge already)
(Just doing some basic experiments, not yet using Zumo for heavier tasks, I have a devastator for that :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Don’t see why not.
Would depend on what you wanted to do with the Pico. The slower CPU speed should not affect basic operations. But …
The Pi Zero and Pico are very different micros with different features and program storage.

At $5.75 though, the Pico is very cheap, I would buy one and try it out.

Regards
Jim

1 Like

Well, like I wrote, just power the small Zumo car, watch it roll around, maybe make a line follower or make a maze crawler out of it.

Thanks, any way!

1 Like

Hi Ray,

Just to confirm was this the Zumo you were looking at? https://core-electronics.com.au/pololu-zumo-32u4-robot-assembled-with-50-1-hp-motors.html
In short you’ll definitely be able to use the Pico if you were looking to do remedial tasks, i.e. run a state machine, that allows a robot to follow a line.

The difference between a microcontroller (Pico) and single board computer( Zero, a SBC) is what they are setup to do. A Zero is a fully fledged computer so its able to run a desktop environment, connect to the internet and run more involved tasks such as browse the web. The Pico on the otherhand is designed to do tasks that require precise timing, running a motor, reading sensors(both analog and digital).
They both have their place, but the lines are getting quite grey today, as microcontrollers become more powerful they can do the tasks that small computers can. See the ESP32 running basic webservers to control GPIO.

Liam.

1 Like

Oh! Pico is just an MC like an Arduino! OK, got it! I’ll porbably just wait for the Pi Zero W to be available again (I also have UNOs, Leos, etc already :slight_smile: )

Pico was a bit impressive, running mPython and ease of use (uploading, etc.). I’ll probably get one after I finish this project.

Well, I was just looking at the CHASSIS only, since I also already have the motors with the same specs given.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi Ray,

Yeah spot on, For all of my projects I’ve moved over to the Pico, the much faster dual core processor plus PIO is just something you cant pass up!

Yeah, it looks like an awesome bit of kit, I’m keen to see what you come up with!
PS: if you are after an MCU with WiFi I would take a look at using an ESP32.

Liam.

2 Likes

Hahahaha! I also have ESP32 already! (I got the grandfather, ESP-01 too! Made my own adaptor!)

I have couple of Pi Zeros too, but they are being used and can’t be arsed to pluck them out temporarily.

I was active on MCs, SBCs etc, until life caught up with me. Now I have a bit of time again to spend on my projects…

(Am toying with idea of merging Alexa with Devastator too :rofl:)

2 Likes