Cherry MX Switch (COM-13834)

This is a placeholder topic for “Cherry MX Switch” comments.

Cherry MX Keyswitches are top-of-the-line mechanical keyboard switches. They’re satisfyingly “clicky”, reliable up to tens-of-millions of key presses, and a standard in gaming and programming keyboards across the globe. This ‘blue’ version Cherry MX Switch is favored by most due to its secondary internal actuator making it less likely to “double-tap.” If you are looking for a noticeably audible and high-quality key switch, this is the perfect option for you!

Read more

How easy would it be to modify this (or the LED) to fit a 5mm ws2812 PTH? Try as I may, I can’t find 3mm PTH ws2812’s

Hi Rob,

As you’ve probably seen, the switch has 2 holes for the legs of the LED, and a WS2812 would need 4, so you’d need to dremel them out or something like that.

I can’t find any 3mm ws2812s short of dodgy aliexpress pages, but you could use a traditional SMD one on a pcb and a “light pipe” through the hole on the switch if you really needed to.

I’ll do some reading to see how the gaming boards do it

-James

2 Likes

Light pipe is a great idea. I’ll see if I can squeeze an smd led close enough to the switch footprint.
Cheers

3 Likes