Connecting piicodev buzzer module + other components to raspberry pi via breadboard

I’ve successfully got the piicodev buzzer module working on my RPi using the video guide (which was excellent) and the piicodev adapter. However I eventually want to run a servo motor, touch sensor and the buzzer simultaneously so have been using a breadboard with adafruit breakout cobbler to connect them all to the RPi. I have the ground and voltage pins sorted, but not sure where the other two cables (blue and yellow) from the splitter should go. The SDA and SDL GPIOs are being used by the touch sensor which is working fine. Can I use other GPIOs to do the same thing as the SDA and SDL pins for the buzzer?
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi Cath,

Could you please send through some links for each of the parts you currently have?
If you have more PiicoDev devices you can daisy chain them using them

1 Like

Hi Liam. The specific parts I am trying to use are:

PiicoDev Buzzer Module | Core Electronics Australia

and

Am using a RPi 4B with an adafruit cobbler and breadboad.

Thanks very much

1 Like

While it is possible to use other pins for SDA and SDL for a second i2c bus, there is no purpose in doing so and it makes things much more complicated. It is simpler to follow the advice above and daisy chain your I2C devices, using just a single bus. The Piicodev devices have two bus connectors which can be considered as ‘in’ and ‘out’ (although the direction isn’t actually significant) with Vcc and Gnd included in the cable and connectors, so you can just string them together in a single chain using one pair of SDA/SDL Pi pins.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips! So just to confirm that I have understood how to daisy chain the two sensors-I have both SDA wires connected to the slots on the breadboard in line with the SDA pin on the cobbler and the same for the SCLs. I then ran sudo i2cdetect -y 1 in the terminal and got 0x28 and 0x5c in the matrix which I assume means they are connected correctly? Thanks again!

2 Likes

Yes. The exact configuration will depend on what sort of breadboard you have and which cobbler you are using, but if you can see the default addresses for the two devices that means they are connected and should respond to the software.

2 Likes

Thanks very much!

2 Likes