Controllers for brushless DC Motor

Hello i am currently working on a project that requires creating a motorized wheelchair for a canine. I have purchased an out runner brushless dc motor that is 24V and max 8A with hall sensors. I am aiming for it to be torque controlled can that be done with an ESC? My issue i am having is selecting a controller for it. Do i need an ESC that has a BEC and than attach the hall sensors from the motor straight to the Arduino? Suggestions of ESC would be appreciated or any controller that would work.

Hi Timothy, welcome to the forum!

These are a bit confusing, as it stands for Electronic Speed Controller, but some control torque, some control speed.

A BEC will be useful for powering an Arduino or similar microcontroller, but generally an ESC will take the hall effect sensor signals, unless it is referred to as “sensorless”.

I only know about brushless motors through the Odrive project, which exposes torque, speed and position controls, so I don’t have any controller suggestions other than that, but that’s where I’d start:

Okay ignoring the torque aspect, what would be the best suited esc for a motor that can run at 24-48V. Most only have 2-6s LiPo capaibilties and would not supply enough. Thanks

Hi Timothy
There may be a lot of pertinent info here
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&sxsrf=APwXEdfyA8jzXJmBPE3KZTd2zcm4adf0Mw:1680501164344&q=brushless+dc+motor+controller+circuit+diagram&tbm=isch&chips=q:brushless+dc+motor+controller+circuit+diagram,online_chips:using+arduino:got5idf08ps%3D&usg=AI4_-kRQmyLmMV70NlHj1N_aCPv7ZG8FGQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiU38fXgo3-AhUGE4gKHVFwCzAQgIoDKAF6BAgVEBY&biw=1861&bih=892&dpr=1#imgrc=Xq8SjajPmmx_gM
Sorry that link did not work.

Try google “Brushless dc motor controller circuit” and you will find a tab for Arduino and other micro controllers. I have not gone into it at any depth but is not as simple as a brushed motor but has lots of advantages.

Uncle Google seems to have lots of info on the subject. Just have to look.
Cheers Bob
edit. The link will work. Try it.

1 Like