Core-electronics website doesn’t work properly on iPad

On PC you can hover over the “shop” button, but it doesn’t work on iPad

3 Likes

Hi Jared
I have a Windows laptop and a Mac which I use all the time except the odd occasion when I have to use Windows.

I believe it is all to do with the browser. On the Mac “Shop” behaves as you say when I use Safari. When I click it the sub headings will appear. If I use Firefox the sub headings appear when I hover over the “Shop” button.

Windows with Google Chrome displays the sub headings when hovering.

It could be Safari having nothing to do with Java and Adobe Flash. Regarded as security risks although Google Chrome doesn’t like them either but still seems to work in this instance. There are some web sites and bits of web sites that I just cannot view with Safari. If I really need to view these on the Mac I use Firefox .
Cheers Bob

3 Likes

The issue I think is with touch interface on iOS. With a mouse, you can hover over the button. There’s no way to hover a pointer on a tablet/mobile because there is no mouse or pointer

3 Likes

Hi Jared.
Not being a tablet user I hadn’t thought of that. You have the answer then what is your question???

Your heading then Core-electronics website doesn’t work properly on iPad is a bit misleading. It IS working properly. It will behave the same with any device that depends on finger touches and does not have a mouse or pointer. If you can think of a way to do what you want (display the sub headings when you hover over it) I am sure there are many people who would be very interested.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes

Hi Jared and Bob,

I was able to get the menu opening up by holding the click down and dragging off the button(disclaimer I’m using Chromes dev tools to emulate it).
Also all of the categories that pop up when you hover over that button still display on the landing page to the shop button so you arent missing any content, it just might be a lil slower to navigate to - PS: on mible I find the search is fastest.

5 Likes

It’s not misleading, the fault lies with the website. The symptom is in the touch interface.

3 Likes

The Core website was pretty good a few years back, but phone and tablet browsing has exploded in the last few years. In fact I do the majority of my web browsing on my phone these days - I only use a computer if I really need to and at work.

It must be hard to be web developer in this day and age. There’s so many different screen resolutions and ratios, as well as different browsers, and they’ve all got to work in both portrait and landscape. Long gone are the days when pretty much every display was either 800x600 or 1024x768, was shown on either a 15" or 17" CRT, and IE was over 90% of the market share.

I’m sure they’ve got a fix on the way though, the Core guys are usually ahead of the curve with this stuff.

3 Likes

The content displayed in the shop drop-down is the equivalent to what’s on the page that is linked by clicking on the actual shop link. So I wouldn’t consider that too big of an issue.
There’s still a pathway to content.

What is an issue however is how there are no similar pages for the Learn and Support top nav items. So if you lack a pointing device and are above the mobile_nav breakpoint you’re a bit stuck.
The lack of focus indicators (with the exception of this discourse forum) is also a bit of an issue.

But eh… I don’t intend to be too picky.

4 Likes

I use this accessability setting for that when I’m using chrome:

Not as good as a proper focus indicator, but does the trick for tabbing through page where the active and inactive link colours are very similar.

4 Likes

Oliver, device compatibility in web development is a major part of the job. How do you know there’s a fix on the way?

Chris, the page I get when I tap the button is not the same thing I see when I hover over the button on PC.

4 Likes

I don’t actually know but from past experience, the guys at core are usually fairly responsive to bugs

3 Likes

How would they know about it if their support button links to a forum instead of their tech support lol

1 Like

Lol, this is their tech support - there’s a lot of posts from them during business hours. It’s late at night on a long weekend though, so I can’t fault them for not responding. Only lunatics like us are still up :stuck_out_tongue: Pretty sure they’re only open 8:30 to 5:00.

Yep, just checked:

3 Likes

Hi Jared,

Thanks for the feedback! We’re always looking to improve our site, so stuff like this is definitely something we want to hear about.

I’ll pass this onto our admin team, and you may see some changes soon :slight_smile:

-James

3 Likes

I believe it is all to do with the browser. On the Mac “Shop” behaves as you say when I use Safari. When I click it the sub headings will appear. If I use Firefox the sub headings appear when I hover over the “Shop” button.

2 Likes