Creating PiicoDev Fritzing parts

I have tried my hand at creating a Fritzing part for the PiicoDev colour sensor, VEML6040. I am very much a novice at all of this (graphic design and electrical circuitry) and am doing it specifically to create graphical representations of circuit designs using PiicoDev products for students. Are there any legal or other ramifications associated with making this one (and any others I create) public? I have attached the svg file I used to create the Fritzing breadboard image (I can’t attach the Fritzing zip file). It does have the PiicoDev name on it. I have not attached the PCB view file, but it would not be suitable for creating a PCB. I am happy to make anything I create public and receive community feedback, but I wouldn’t want to make Core Electronics look amateurish through my own naivety.
Core_PiicoDev_VEML6040_breadboard

4 Likes

To me it does not look bad. As far as I know, there should not be any legal issues with it. I hope core electronics will answer soon.

1 Like

Hey @David55659! We’re honestly stoked you took the initiative - of course you’re welcome to create artwork to document PiicoDev in your projects! Sharing is the last step in making, and Fritzing diagrams help document your work and add to the wonderful rising-tide that is Open Source.

Insider intel: we’ve toyed with the idea of getting in touch with Fritzing and having them put together some really mint PiicoDev models to be distributed with the standard build of Fritzing. Their hourly rate is pretty reasonable and they do a great job. Later is better for us, because we’ll have more modules in the future to hand over to them.

Consider open-sourcing your work so others may benefit too!
Love your work - happy making!

3 Likes

Thanks, @Michael. I have only made the one part at the moment, but it shouldn’t be too difficult to make more based on that one. I have put it up on GitHub (I’m new to that, as well). Any feedback would be much appreciated. The GitHub link is https://github.com/davidebert/PiicoDev-FritzingParts

3 Likes

Looks amazing David!!
Very vibrant :slight_smile: I cant wait to see projects come through with these being used.

Using the KiCAD board viewer should speed things up if you’re looking to pump out modules, if you’re keen let us know and we can send through some resources!

Liam

1 Like

Thanks, @Liam. I am very much the rookie at this. I’ve never used KiCAD and am only just learning Inkscape. Can KiCAD generate .svg files suitable for making the breadboard image? What other resources do you have? I only have a few days before I am back in the classroom and may not get back to this for another 10 weeks. :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Hi David,

I just tested the KiCAD export feature and it looks like you can! Here’s some results for an up-coming project:

This is a couple of the copper layers, it isn’t quite the full rendering but should be able to get you started - the 'front silk screen and courtyards will be the ones you want to grab :slight_smile:

And if you just wanna have a look to trace or grab a nice screenshot use the 3D viewer
And the result without any components rendered (from memory most of Core’s do)

Here’s some links that you might find handy:

Once the project is loaded open the pcb file then you can
File > Export SVG

Hello @David55659 ,

I am a high school teacher documenting project layouts for use by my students using Fritzing so very much appreciate the time you have taken to make and share this.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @matt_chadwick ,
I’m a high school teacher, too. Still looking for the time to follow through with my original ambition!

1 Like