Difference between the Aerostruder v2 (0.25mm) and the SL

Hey there,

I have a Lulzbot Mini 2 and and using the stock printer (0.5mm nozzle, Cura software). I have been printing for a few months now, all of my own 3D models and designs. I am running into a frustrating need for smoother quality, especially at smaller print scales and I was wondering if the smaller nozzle print head would help me in this?

Here is an example of the kind of frustrating striations I get when printing now, Using PolyLite PLA

It’s these shifted layers in the SAME areas of the model’s print that have me scratching my head. I’ve tried slowing the print speed, adjusting the Jerk control, putting the printer on the floor (which helped quite a bit as you can see here with my final print.

I have been eyeing up the two .25mm nozzle tool heads;

and was wondering if either of these would help with my layering quality or if this is more of a belted axis problem?

Thank you so much in advance!

I feel like his might be the root of my woes… so if I could also get help here on how to help fix the PID and the Zaxis calibration (you can just link me any documentation) I’d really appreciate it!

If you know that inconsistent extrusion and temperature variation are not to blame, then there may be a mechanical issue that is causing lines and ridges on the sides of your print. For example, if the print bed wobbles or vibrates while printing, this can cause the nozzle position to vary. This means that some layers may be slightly thicker than others. These thicker layers will produce ridges on the sides of your print. Another common issue is a Z-axis threaded rod that is not being positioned properly. For example, due to backlash issues or poor motor controller micro-stepping settings. Even a small change in the bed position can have a major impact on the quality of each layer that is printed.

Hi Anux,

While the smaller head will further reduce the visible lines and increase the maximum quality of the print, it may not solve this problem that you are having. Have you tried updating the firmware on your printer lately? That’s always worth a shot. I suggest contacting Support@LulzBot.com about this one. They have a great response time and will get back to you within one business day. (there is a time difference though)

I emailed them! They suggested I tighten up my X axis belt:

It appears that your X axis belt is loose and is causing layer shift. I suggest tightening the X axis belt by loosening one of the belt clamps on the back of the toolhead mount, then using needle nose plier pull the belt tight. Tight belts can reduce layer lines as well.

I’m going to give it a go :smiley:

1 Like

Let us know how it goes!