Lulzbot Mini printing Ripples

I purchased a Lulzbot Mini a couple of weeks ago. Since then I’ve printed enough pieces to go through a 1kg reel of ABS.

I printed a fairly large piece last night and I noticed that there are ripples being generated in the outer layer. I presume this is something to do with the head “bouncing” when going round tight corners.

Is there something I need to do to the printer to dial these ripples out? Has the printer loosened up now so I need to tension belts or something like that? Or is it simply a case of lowering the speed/acceleration values?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan

Hey Daniel,
To see if we can half split the issue, could you try slowing down your prints and seeing if the problem becomes more noticeable/worse?

In any case, it wouldn’t hurt to do some maintenance on your printer and make sure it’s all up to scratch. Check out this guide for more info.

Ok thanks,

I’ll give that a go and let you know the results.

Cheers,
Dan

2 Likes

Slowing down the print from 40mm/s to 30mm/s hasn’t made any real difference.

I’m going to have another go at tightening the belts tonight because I may not have gotten them tight enough.

I’m also going to slow down just the outer layer by a fair bit more (to 10mm/s) to see what that does.

Cheers,
Dan

1 Like

@Daniel25998, how did things go?

Tightening the belt on the print head has made a big difference. There is still a little bit of ghosting on flat edges after sharp turns however…

I’m going to have another go at tightening the belt on the print bed because I seemed to have 3 left hands in the last attempt and I don’t think I made any sort of change to the tension.

Not sure that changing the print speed has made any noticeable difference… I will need to do some back-to back runs with difference speed settings to really try and understand how it also affects the problem…

Cheers,
Dan

1 Like

Definitely think belt tension is the key to this. Getting the belts tight has made the most difference.

Having said that, I’m also printing now at top/bottom 20mm/s and Outer/Inner 15mm/s and I’m getting good quality now. The ghosting is still there but you have to look very hard to see it.

Cheers,
Dan

1 Like

Glad to hear it Dan. Aidan will be in later tomorrow and may have some further ideas on optimising that quality for you.