Echo location with 4 microphones

Hello ,

I want to build as proof of concept at first, so using the cheapest components at first ,
an echo location system as precise as possible.

The idea is that I have 3 microphones . When a sound is detected the time index of the first
microphone that detected the sound becomes time 0 .
Knowing the position in space of each microphone the original location of the sound should be just a matter of simple mathematics.
I would like this system to give me the access to the recording data in a format that can be converted to excel .

Electronics is not even close to being my strong suit so any help would be appreciated.
under the correct circumstances I am even willing to pay to have this system built.

The precision has to be the best one possible and I am of course willing to provide any other details that might be deemed necessary .

thank you to anyone taking the time to read this ,
Have a nice day ,

Hey Radu,

In order to construct such a device able to record position in three-dimensional space, it would be required to use at least four microphones (likely in a triangular prism) to triangulate a sound. By using three microphones if they were organised in a equilateral triangle, larger the better to account for the limit of measurement in timing, and a microcontroller such as a raspberry pi running a custom script to record signals from the microphones it could be possible to triangulate a signal along a 2-D plane but would be difficult to implement an output into excel directly but could be recorded to a text file and then processed into excel.

Unfortunately, we can’t design projects for customers but I’m sure someone in the community would be interested in assisting you to further this project.

Hello ,

There’s a conceptual difference between you selected method and mine

but I hope you’re right and someone else here will be interested to help because

I don’t have a strong background in electronics.

I have also mentioned that under the right circumstances I would be willing to pay

for the support to create this.

Would that allow you to help me with the design ?

Thank you for your time ,

Have a nice day ,

Hey Radu,

Hopefully the initial help we’ve given at least lets you make a start on the project then!

Again, unfortunately, we can’t design projects for customers. We can try to provide as much tech help as possible though through these forums and our support email (support@coreelectronics.com.au)

To be franc no it didn’t.

But I understand why you’re not allowed to design things for potential clients.

Thank you for your time ,

Have a nice day ,

Owen

December 3

Hey Radu,

Hopefully the initial help we’ve given at least lets you make a start on the project then!

alt Radu103806:
I have also mentioned that under the right circumstances I would be willing to pay for the support to create this. Would that allow you to help me with the design?

Again, unfortunately, we can’t design projects for customers. We can try to provide as much tech help as possible though through these forums and our support email (support@coreelectronics.com.au)