Forerunner-Tracked Chassis (ROB0154)

This is a placeholder topic for “Forerunner-Tracked Chassis” comments.

This is Forerunner, an agile tracked chassis, low noise and easy to control, which could be a good partner for your tank-liked robots. High-strength aluminium alloy … read more

Read more

Hey, do you have any specifications for the motors?

1 Like

Hey Adam,

Welcome to the forum!!

I came across an FAQ on DFrobots site and it listed the following:

• Input Voltage: 12V
  • Rotation Speed: 160RPM
  • The maximum current for this chassis is 200mA, unfortunately we do not have a separate reference number for these motors.

I’m not sure if the listed 'maximum current is for both motors or one individually.
Was there any specific information that you were after? Shaft size etc?

2 Likes

Is the motor a brushless or brushed dc motor?

2 Likes

Hi Darvind,

Given that there are 2 wires this would be a DC motor.

1 Like

Thank you, but is it brushed or brushless?
Because if it is brushless, then it wouldn’t be compatible with my brushed dc speed controller, they need to be the same, please correct me if i am wrong, still very much a beginner to electronics

2 Likes

Hi Darvind,

This would be a brushed motor.

Brushless DC (usually referred to as BLDC, not DC) motors usually have 3 wires for each of their phases.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Darvind!

Looks like @Liam120347 has you sorted for the type of motor!

If you need a hand finding a specific one let us know!

If these motors were ran at around the rated voltage of 12v what would be an estimate of the expected speed the tank could move?

Hi Joe.

The motors on this unit will turn at 160 rpm at 12v. Its hard to tell exactly how fast the tank itself will move as you would need to be able to measure the radius of the driven gear and a few other measurements that are hard to get a hold of.

If it helps I have found a video of this chassis in action and it seems to be moving at a decent pace for something driven with tank wheels.

You can find it here.

Hope this helps!
Sam

Thank you for the reply, I am struggling to determine which motor driver to use with this chassis if I run it off a raspberry pi. Would you have any recommendations for this?

1 Like

Hey Joe,

Do you know what Raspberry Pi board you are planning on using?

This Motor driver should be a decent option for most Pi boards as it directly connects to the GPIO on the Pi board.

If you don’t think this would work for you nearly everything in this Brushed DC Motor Driver Category should do the job.

Hope this helps!
Sam

I already own a raspberry pi 5 so I will most likely use that board. Just making sure the speed controller you recommended is compatible with the pi 5?
Thanks.

Hey Joe,

This board was made before the Raspberry Pi 5 so it doesn’t officially support it.
However to the best of my understanding, it will work over the GPIO pins exactly the same as on older Pi models.

I would say its a safe bet to use this with a Raspberry Pi 5.
Sam