Funway into SME

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let everyone know I have started a new video series called “Funway into SME” (Surface Mount Electronics)

What I am doing is going through the old Dick Smith Electronics Funway volumes 2 and 3 and converting them into modernised versions of the original projects including updating the circuit’s to remove components difficult to source. And also add some power efficiency.

As the series progresses I’ll post a link to each video in the series. I have even had to create my own funway videos to provide the needed building blocks for the more advanced projects, due to changing the way components interact in the old circuits.

Part of the series is first showing how to hand solder Surface Mount Components then progress onto using stencils and board heater/reflow ovens.

The introductory video can be found here Funway into SME: Introduction - YouTube

The series is being sponsored by PCB Way https://pcbway.com/g/zBGUa0

Talk Soon
Celcius1

Edit: I had to re-upload the intro video as I had to fix a number of audio mastering issues. If you had liked the previous video please be kind and like the re-upload, in future i’ll be more careful

5 Likes

Hey Celcius,

That’s awesome! We always love to see some more educational content and SMD is something that is very difficult to get a grasp on, though information available in different formats and ways is the best way to go about helping others learn about things like this!

Cheers,
Blayden

1 Like

So tomorrow I start filming the first in this series, the reason for the delay is I have not had the funds to buy the parts from element14.

If people want to help support my efforts in this series, they are welcome to support my efforts on Patreon.

2 Likes

Not enough hand drawn orange artwork :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So the first video is up The LED Flasher project.

Funway into SME (Project 1: LED Flasher)

1 Like

Hey, thanks for starting and sharing the series.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the support! I’m still learning how to make good videos, but its getting there, I’m also over the course of the week releasing it as 3 part video as well

1 Like

Hey Blayden,

Thanks for the support, Also I’m in the process of rigging up some new equipment to help me do SMD stuff easier, do you guys have lenses for the HQ Cam module

Celcius1

1 Like

I’m also running a giveaway of the led flasher assembled in the video https://gleam.io/Xz3l2/led-flasher-giveaway so feel free to enter

1 Like

Hey Celsius,

We sure do! Depending on the level of zoom you are looking for, we have a microscope lens that may fit for some of your SMD work in a finer format, or if you are looking for general Telephoto lenses, we have this 16mm lens that is compatible.

Cheers,
Blayden

1 Like

So Project 2 is now live, The ding dong doorbell, Part 1 is going over the circuit, in part 2 which will be done over the weekend will be the assembly, testing and demonstration.

Funway into SME: Project 2 - The Ding Dong Doorbell (Part 1)

1 Like

So I have the build video of the Ding Dong Doorbell up

Funway into SME (Project 2 - Ding Dong Doorbell: Part 2)

2 Likes

Hi Paul,

Awesome to see your plans come to light! Glad you’re starting with an iron, keen to see them progress to stencils and the like :slight_smile: