Help selecting a battery

I’m looking for a battery for the Arduino Nano 33 Sensor. Ideally, I would like it to be able to run for at least a week and be rechargeable.

I would also like to know if there is a suitable charging setup for the recommended batter.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi Ben,

Are you talking about the Nano 33 BLE Sense?

Hi - yes that’s the one.

Hi Ben,

How interesting, have you been able to calculate the average draw over that time? I’d expect it will be in the few hundred milliamp range when running, but it will depend on the particular scripts that you’re running and such. You should be able to use a USB Doctor or similar to be able to measure the draw of your particular rig which you can then use to determine the appropriate capacity of a battery to last that long.

Hi Ben,

Just an FYI, the regulator on the BLE 33 Sense is an MPM3610:
https://www.monolithicpower.com/pub/media/document/MPM3610_r1.01.pdf

The regulator itself is good for up to 1.2A @ 3.3V. The nRF52840 on the other hand is actually a pretty low power chip. It’s 15mA per pin max, but only 20mA for all pins max - and it needs to be configured correctly to be able to achieve that.

1 Like

Thanks Oliver. So if i wanted to power it from a 3.7 v lipo would i need another reg?

Hi Ben,

No the onboard regulator is fine to use (and is intended to be used with an external battery). I was just pointing out an upper bound to the power consumption of the board.

Oh, perfect. Thank you!

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile: Just keep in mind the BLE has no battery management, so you’ll need to keep an eye on your battery charge status.