Help with my GPS tracking device for Uni final project

Hi i am working on a UNI final project for my thesis, this project involves making a simple portable vehicle tracking (GPS) on a localhost webserver using Flask, Nginx and UWSGI with SQLITE3 as my database. I am using an LTE GPRS module called BK-SIM7600G breakout board that is capable of both using LTE and GPS and a Raspberry Pi 4B, why am using a LTE modem ? It’s because i want to use the 4G LTE connectivity so that i can send my GPS coordinates to my local host website instead of using a wi-fi connection , right now I’m have succeed in turning on the internet connection with using PPP (Point to Point Protocol) cause I’m using UART serial interface and not USB but i just realized that i cant send AT Commands while connected to the PPP because the serial port (like the one I’m using which is /dev/ttyS0) is typically locked for exclusive use by the PPP connection. Now I don’t know what i should do, I can either use Internet or GPS, but not both at the same time. I’ve seen so many articles such as Guide by Tim; 4G and GPS HAT For Raspberry Pi - Waveshare SIM7600X - #8 by Liam120347 and many other but honestly the more I looked at them the more i get confused, I am now at a lost with no one to turn to. Any suggestion, comments, anyone that is willing to help, I’ll gladly appreciate it.

Hey Muhammed, welcome to the forums!

This is definitely a cool project. Would you be able to tell us what specific SIM7600G board you are using? This is a commonly used chip and if its not the one used in Tim’s guide knowing the exact board would be helpful.

After some light research I have found some possible solutions:

It seems like some SIM7600 variants have an additional UART interface which you could use. It may be possible to use one port for PPP (Internet) and the other for your AT commands (GPS).

You could try using AT Commands to setup PPP? Instead of relying on an operating system method to configure PPP, you can send control AT commands to setup PPP via the same serial port. You can then bring up or down the PPP connection while the port can be simultaneously used for GPS AT commands (I know this is possible but am not sure at the moment on how exactly this is done so it may require more research).

I hope this is helpful!
Sam