How to set up Hyperpixel4 with Raspberry Pi 3b

Having trouble setting up Hyperpixel4 with Raspberry Pi 3b. Been to Pimoroni site and did what they said to do…but nothing displaying…Made fresh install of Raspberry Pi OS to Pimoroni requirements.

1 Like

Hi, what is your Raspberry Pi’s OS?

1 Like

Raspberry Pi os (64bit) Bullseye rel 4/4/22 for bot Raspberry Pi 3B and Pi 400

1 Like

Hi Robin,

There are a few things that could be messing things up with the Hyperpixel display.
For most Pi accessories you can migrate the accessories and SD card between the Pi 3 and Pi 400 without changes but this won’t work with the hyperpixel because of the special display drivers needed.

A lot of the display drivers also stopped working some Pi 3Bs with the Bullseye update(for 32bit), I haven’t been able to confirm yet if they are working again.

The 64bit version of Bullseye has only just recently left beta so I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some hardware/driver combinations that still haven’t had the kinks worked out there either.

To simplify the number of factors that could be interfering with your setup can you try the setup once more with a freshly flashed Pi OS Buster 32bit (Legacy branch).
With the Pi 3B then be sure you select Pi3 when running the one-line installer.

curl -sSL https://get.pimoroni.com/hyperpixel4 | bash

If this combination doesn’t give you any display at all it might be time to investigate an RMA for the hardware as it could be an issue with the display hardware itself.

1 Like

Got the Hyperpixel4 working with the legacy install you suggested. At least the display works but the legacy install, orientation and touch configuration are not ideal but at least it is something I can work with.

Maybe there will be a better install soon.

I appreciate the help and support for this problem.

3 Likes

Hi Robin,

Glad to hear you got the display working, you should be able to configure the display and touch orientation with a bit more setup but at least now you know your display isn’t faulty.
It seems the issue is just that there are multiple hardware versions of the Pi and a few major OS updates came out in short succession so the Pimoroni team is still playing catch up with their drivers.

1 Like